Post-bacc or International 6-year programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anybutpretty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an American who will be finishing a BA in the social sciences in Spring 2008. I haven't taken any pre-med classes yet, so I want to do that in the year or two after undergrad. I'm also very interested in going to medical school in another country (Israel, Ireland, perhaps). I'm wondering if it's better for me to do a post-bacc here and apply to 4-year programs both here and internationally, or to just jump into a 6-year program (the way the Ireland schools are set up) after undergrad. I think I'd want to return to the US or Canada afterward though, so I don't know what would be best or what matters most.

I guess I don't have any direct questions, just feedback if you have any. I think I'm headed toward doing a post-bacc program here in the US, but if I got into a 6-year program somewhere else I might go for that too.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in the US, your best chance is to go to medical school here. Most individuals go abroad because they can't get into a US medical school; very few of us chose to attend school outside of the US for the cultural experience, as neat as it sounds.

Therefore, my advice would be to either take the pre-med courses you need in a formal Post-Bacc course or on your own and apply to US schools. If you don't get in, then consider a 4 or 5 year course abroad.