Post-bacc or just apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never mind, got my answer. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPA could be more competitive, but it isn't bad by any means. I have no idea about the new MCAT and it's scoring system, but you seem to be doing pretty well in that department. Combined with a decent number of clinical hours, the overseas clinical work, and your research, I'd say your application would probably look pretty good. My opinion is that it'd be fine for you to take the MCAT and apply. Just apply early and broadly to account for schools that are strict on GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt a post-bacc is going to change much GPA wise. You have a decent GPA that has been set over 4 years of classes. 1 year of a post bacc won't raise it more than a tenth of a point, if that. Which given where your GPA is currently is won't really affect your chances a whole lot.

For DO schools, will you be retaking classes to get a grade replacement? Go through and calculate what your GPA could be after that to see whether it is worth it.

Take the MCAT, do well, and apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt a post-bacc is going to change much GPA wise. You have a decent GPA that has been set over 4 years of classes. 1 year of a post bacc won't raise it more than a tenth of a point, if that. Which given where your GPA is currently is won't really affect your chances a whole lot.

For DO schools, will you be retaking classes to get a grade replacement? Go through and calculate what your GPA could be after that to see whether it is worth it.

Take the MCAT, do well, and apply.

I don't think I'll be retaking any classes. If I did, it would barely raise my GPA. Thanks for your input! :)

Your GPA could be more competitive, but it isn't bad by any means. I have no idea about the new MCAT and it's scoring system, but you seem to be doing pretty well in that department. Combined with a decent number of clinical hours, the overseas clinical work, and your research, I'd say your application would probably look pretty good. My opinion is that it'd be fine for you to take the MCAT and apply. Just apply early and broadly to account for schools that are strict on GPA.

Any idea what specific schools I should avoid applying to? Thanks for your input :)

A Post-Bac is for fixing a bad GPA -- which you don't have.

Re-taking classes for DO grade-replacement works most effectively when your GPA is depressed by a small number of C-D-F grades rather than by a larger number of B grades.

-- You sound ready to apply to me

Any idea what specific schools I should avoid applying to? Thanks for your input :)

I'm not too sure of specific ones offhand; pick up a copy of this year's MSAR and flip through all of the schools. That resource combined with this helped me in determining which schools I was going to apply to.

EDIT: Also, check out this thread for more specific admissions rate numbers based on your stats.

i don't understand where a post-bac enters into this equation. you could apply after your senior year, allowing your (hopefully strong) senior year grades to show up on your application and boost your AMCAS GPA. then you would have a gap year during which you'd apply, work, interview, etc, but you wouldn't do a post-bac during this time