Post-bacc or Masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ral22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to med school in a couple of cycles and want to take some more classes to strengthen my application. I was wondering whether I should do a post-bacc (not to complete req's, just additional courses) or a master's in a science. The university that I have just started working for pays for tuition so that really isn't a concern.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to med school in a couple of cycles and want to take some more classes to strengthen my application. I was wondering whether I should do a post-bacc (not to complete req's, just additional courses) or a master's in a science. The university that I have just started working for pays for tuition so that really isn't a concern.
A more complete idea of your application (e.g. what is it about your app that needs strengthening - I'll assume gpa from here on) would be helpful, but assuming it's GPA, the answer is postbacc, hands-down.

The only master's program which really compensates for a low uGPA is an SMP - a special, expensive program where you take med school classes alongside med students in order to demonstrate that you can perform academically. It's a Hail Mary for the low-gpa applicant...if it works, you can overcome a lot. However, if you don't do exceedingly well, you end up down $50k with a meaningless 'degree' and pretty much zero future shot at medical school. From what you describe, that is not the sort of program you're looking at; I just wanted to get the full description in here because people have been conflating all of these terms recently.

Here's the deal: for non SMP master's programs, adcoms are not as familiar with interpreting those GPAs as they are uGPAs. I think also that the importance of the actual coursework (and thereby grades) varies widely by program, making it harder. So while completing a master's program will take time, distancing you from your prior academic shortcomings, and you can demonstrate that hey, you didn't do poorly in the courses you took, it may not do a great job of really showing that you were doing well, either.
More importantly, and I mean this 100%, you should not apply to a graduate program if you would not have done so if med school didn't exist. Getting any sort of graduate degree in science requires a lot of self-motivation, time, and focus. If it's not something you see yourself doing for the rest of your life, you probably won't be happy doing it, and you probably won't push yourself the way you need to in those programs. If you already have a job (and expect that to pay for the masters), it sounds as if you're going to try adding the school on top of that...while that works for taking undergrad courses, it's really not feasible for a full graduate program. Now, if you apply and get in, odds are you'll have some grad student funding and maybe a stipend, but you're talking about completely changing your course of action if you go that route.

So, yeah...the masters is less helpful for fixing your application, it's not wise to attempt one if you're not invested in it, and honestly it's not clear that you've really considered the logistics of a full master's program. If things stand the way you've described them, you're either in for a surprise when you get more details on the master's program, or there are some special circumstances/programs at your school which you have not fully described for us in your post.

Do the postbacc. If you're applying DO, include some of the classes you've done poorly on in the past. If you're going only for MD, stick to interesting upper levels you haven't seen before. Either way, rock it. Get a 4.0.

Good luck!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

The masters I was talking about is a professional masters program designed for those that work so working at the same time wouldn't be much of a problem.

The special masters program sounds like it could be the best option if it wasn't so expensive. The school I work for has an SMP that I can do for free part time while I am working, would that be worth it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the detailed reply!

The masters I was talking about is a professional masters program designed for those that work so working at the same time wouldn't be much of a problem.

The special masters program sounds like it could be the best option if it wasn't so expensive. The school I work for has an SMP that I can do for free part time while I am working, would that be worth it?
The downfall of the SMP is not just the cost. It's that it is one final, all-or-nothing shot. If you pull a 3.7+, you're in good shape. Less than a 3.5 and you're likely worse off than if you'd never attempted it...and there's nothing that will redeem you from demonstrating directly that no, you can't handle med school coursework. It's generally not something to be undertaken unless your GPA is beyond redemption via normal means. I had a 3.1x after undergrad and I still thought a postbacc was a wiser, cheaper, and more effective route.

I would never advocate taking an SMP while working. The risk is too high.
I have also never heard of a part-time SMP, though. The whole point is to demonstrate that you can do med school by...doing med school. The SMP is already pared down from the full load that med students shoulder; if you cut that in half, you really limit what the SMP is showing people.

As for the masters, again, it really comes down to: take med school off the table. Would you still want to get your masters? Would it be worth the effort to you, if you didn't see it as a step towards medical school?

If not, absolutely don't do it. Cost isn't the factor here; most science grad programs are funded. It's time/effort/utility.

How about a part time traditional post bacc?

How about a part time traditional post bacc?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'traditional' (one that focuses on prereqs? One that's programmed instead of DIY?) but yeah, in general post baccs tend to be more part-time friendly.

At the end of the day, what matters most with a postbacc is how many credits you take total and pulling As. If you're slammed with other work, take them 2 at a time. If you have free time, take a full load. Do what you can pull off and afford (sounds like you're covered there!)

Whether it's official/unofficial/structured/DIY doesn't matter so much. As for which courses you take, I'll reiterate what I said before:

If you're applying DO, include some of the classes you've done poorly on in the past (Cs or worse). If you're going only for MD, stick to interesting upper levels you haven't seen before. Either way, rock it. Get a 4.0. Have fun.

Reactions: 1 user