Post bacc or medical scribe for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be applying to DO schools this cycle and I was wondering if a post-bacc is necessary based on my stats or if I should just spend my gap year scribing and apply with my current stats. Also, if I end up doing a post-bacc, would I be able to update the DO schools on my performance in the fall semester or would they already have made a decision by then? I would like to apply this year and not have to take another gap year, and idk if my sGPA is low enough to warrant a full year of post-bacc to be finished before applying.

cGPA of 3.50
sGPA of 3.31 (BIG improvement junior/senior year)
504 MCAT (126/125/125/128)
PA resident
ORM (Asian)
Top 25 LAC
~150 hrs clinical volunteering
No non-clinical volunteering :/
Bio research junior and senior year (~200ish? hours)
leadership position in a science magazine club, 2 campus jobs
Dean's list fall 2018
I don't have that many shadowing hours (only 16) so I will be shadowing a DO (trying to get ~100 hrs within a month, as well as a LOR) as early as shadowing is allowed again.

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessary but a continued upward trend would help since you have a 3.3 sGPA.
Yes, you should scribe and that takes precedence over shadowing. Ideally, you'd scribe for a DO who can write your letter.
Maybe consider working as a scribe while taking a course here and there to continue to show that trend, but that is not financially feasible for everyone.

I scribed for 1 year and got LOR from MD and 2 DO's. Scribe is a good experience and once you start scribing you will get referral from DRs to their DO friends and that's how got mine.
Make sure do some non clinical volunteers as well.
You can always add more upper division science classes to bring your Sgpa up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying to DO schools this cycle and I was wondering if a post-bacc is necessary based on my stats or if I should just spend my gap year scribing and apply with my current stats. Also, if I end up doing a post-bacc, would I be able to update the DO schools on my performance in the fall semester or would they already have made a decision by then? I would like to apply this year and not have to take another gap year, and idk if my sGPA is low enough to warrant a full year of post-bacc to be finished before applying.

cGPA of 3.50
PA resident
ORM (Asian)
Top 25 LAC
Dean's list fall 2018
I don't have that many shadowing hours (only 16) so I will be shadowing a DO (trying to get ~100 hrs within a month, as well as a LOR) as early as shadowing is allowed again.

Since you are applying this cycle there isn't much time to improve your application. I would say get the scribe gig and try out this cycle by applying as broadly as you can. With your current stats, I think you definitely will get some love from DO schools.

cGPA of 3.50
PA resident
ORM (Asian)
Top 25 LAC
Dean's list fall 2018
Post-bac NOT needed! So shadow a DO, get in some nonclinical volunteering (try Meals for Wheels) and apply!

Post-bac NOT needed! So shadow a DO, get in some nonclinical volunteering (try Meals for Wheels) and apply!
Thank you! How many hours/months of nonclinical volunteering do you think is necessary? I'm thinking of volunteering at a soup kitchen as soon as covid is over but I want to apply this cycle and not too late.

Thank you! How many hours/months of nonclinical volunteering do you think is necessary? I'm thinking of volunteering at a soup kitchen as soon as covid is over but I want to apply this cycle and not too late.
150 hrs of volunteering.

As few as 8 hrs for shadowing a DO if you can get LOR