Post bacc or smp disadvantaged student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mckale1998

Reaction score
Ok so I know my stats are not great. I have had to deal with so many obstacles in my undergrad. I would appreciate no one telling me my hope for medical school is futile, trust me I have told myself that enough.
My undergrad gpa is a 3 flat. I am finishing my.last semester now and it's looking good for it to end of at a 3.1 but we shall see. My family experienced homelessness during my whole undergrad experience because of this I spent almost every weekend home or sending money home whenever I could
This effected my grades slightly. Then during my junior year my sister got into an accident where I missed 3 weeks of school and in result failed my first and only class. I am only saying this to explain why my grades lack. I have 1000+ of hospital experience working as a cna.
I want to get into medical school so much that i will do anything to do that such thing. Right now I'm not sure of the options available to me because of my gpa. I have done so much research but I feel like I am running in circles. I know i need a post bacc or an smp but given my situation I am not sure which is best for me.
I now understand thay while my family is important I need to focus on myself and school to achieve my dreams. I have not taken the mcat due to covid but I am studying.
Sorry this is so long I was ultimately want to know what my next step should be.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do well on MCAT and apply broadly to DO schools.

See if you can get a retroactive withdrawal for that failed class.

If you're boning for the MD, the least expensive past is a FIY post bac

Go read my post on reinvention for premeds

Reactions: 1 user