Medical Post Bacc or SMP? Upward trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a senior set to graduate this July in the State of Florida. I am trying to figure out my next steps regarding building my application and improving my chances of acceptance into medical school.

My story is quite different.

I went to 2 community colleges, then transferred from a 4 year school to the school I am about to graduate from!

am ORM**

Prior to the school I am at now, I had no clue what I wanted to do. I have been at this current school for 3 years, and over the last 4 semesters I have a large upward trend

My pre req grades are....
Biology 1 w lab - B
Bio 2 w lab- A
Chem 1 P (took this during covid outbreak, took Pass for this class) Lab - B
Chem 2 w lab -B
Physics 1 -B+
Physics 2 -A
Organic 1 w lab A-
Organic 2 w lab A

I have also taken science courses and received these grades
Genetics - B
Ecology- B
Human Biology -A
Neurobiology - B
Medical Terminology - A
College Algebra- A
Statistics 1 - A-
Oceanography- A-

All of my science courses and pre reqs have been done at a 4 year institution!

My last 3 semesters have been
Summer 2020 18 credits 3.25 gpa
Fall 2020 18 credits 3.610 gpa
Spring 2021 17 credits 3.75 gpa

Currently taking the courses below in Summer 2021 before graduation - I just received an A on all of my Midterms and I am looking to end with a 3.8-4.0 gpa for this semester with the following 15 credits:
Microbiology
Clinical Physiology for Health professionals
Gen. Biochemistry
Intermediate Human Physiology
Topics in Organismal Diversity Bio Class**

I am on track to graduate with a 159 credits and 3.11 cpga and a 3.32 sgpa with 75 science credits.

Prior to the 67 credits I have taken over the past 4 semesters which includes this summer, I only took a few credits at a time, as I had no concept of what I wanted to do for a career, and was just going through the motions. I had a few Fs Ds and Cs in other classes in community college. Only one F in a science course from 2017 at CC.

So here is my question... would I do a DIY post bacc or a smp/masters. I am in South Florida. So NOVA MBS is next door, UMiami has a Masters in Biomedical science as well, FAU has MBS masters that I could apply too. I would apply for a start date next spring, as I am currently studying for the MCAT.

Or I could do a post bacc? How many credits would I have to take and do well in before applying? Would I take 15-18 more credits for the next 2 semesters then apply?

Extra Curriculars:

I work as Personal Trainer/Bodybuilding Coach
100 hours shadowing cardiologist and Radiologist
200 volunteer hours with hospitals
Worked in a cardiology lab and sleep lab for 2 years
No research yet.

I would love any advice on what to do next, I have read countless threads with the same questions, but I have a unique non trad situation.

I don't think that you need to do either. You have have shown that the you of now is not the you of then.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your feedback. Even though my pre req and science grades are pretty good, shouldn’t I improve my app by taking another semester or 2 of post bacc? Or does my upward trend make me competitive enough with a good MCAT score?
The upward trend is enough

Status
Not open for further replies.