Post-Bacc, Pre-Dental Help. Health Sciences VS Oral Bio Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cs558

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I have recently been accepted into two pre-dental Masters programs. The first is a Masters of Biomedical Sciences from UMMC in my home state (Mississippi). The second is a Masters of Oral Biology from NYU.

Which program would be better for improving my dental school application?

Here are the pros/cons of each that I know of.

Health Sciences Pros: In state tuition, no moving expenses, very respectable program in state
Health Sciences Cons: it isn't specifically in Oral Biology. It is more of a general Biology Master's, which might not be as beneficial considering I want to apply to dental school next year.

Oral Bio Pros: Living in NYC, NYU is regarded as a good school, the program is geared for pre-dental students
Oral Bio Cons: Tuition is much higher, I cant find acceptance or satisfaction rates about the program.

Please any help or advice is greatly welcomed. Again, I have been accepted into both programs but I want to make sure I make the right decision by having as much info as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Money is always an issue, and since dental school is expensive, you might as well save up for what you really want.
2. If NYU's dental school is your dream school, there is a possibility that they may look highly upon it.
3. Make sure you can do well GPA wise no matter where you go, there's no point in going to grad school before dental school if you can't show you can handle the work/raise your GPA.