Post-bacc pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazycooljoel

Ignore the Discouragement
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am less than a year from completing my BA in Health Care Studies at Ashford University, a distance learning program. Note that I have taken several classes not through distance learning. I have completed an academic year of English, however, I still need the rest of my med prereqs. Here is the issue and I would like to hear some opinions. Serious replies only please.

To start off, I am active duty Air Force and cannot take classes during the day. I spoke with all the schools in my local area and none have those classes in the evening. Being active duty and working full time (often 10+ hrs/day), I cannot take these science classes during lunch, especially with the labs added to the mix.

I know about web based science classes with online labs, but am very skeptical and would rather not do it.

It seems that once my BA is complete, I will be stuck. I am looking for any alternatives; so far it looks as if my only alternative would be to leave active duty when my term is up (Jan 12), and apply for a post-bacc pre-health certification program, in which I should be able to use the GI Bill. I would have to relocate to do this and cannot rely on family for help.

I would like to hear any realistic thoughts and/or advice about any other alternatives one may have. With 10 years of active duty service, it is a very big decision to make. Once I leave active duty I cannot rejoin and will have to find some other job unless I get accepted to the HPSP or USUHS medical school program, which is my objective. I have a sense of security with my job and have good benefits, I fear loosing it for good. I do have a wife to support, no kids yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I am less than a year from completing my BA in Health Care Studies at Ashford University, a distance learning program. Note that I have taken several classes not through distance learning. I have completed an academic year of English, however, I still need the rest of my med prereqs. Here is the issue and I would like to hear some opinions. Serious replies only please.

To start off, I am active duty Air Force and cannot take classes during the day. I spoke with all the schools in my local area and none have those classes in the evening. Being active duty and working full time (often 10+ hrs/day), I cannot take these science classes during lunch, especially with the labs added to the mix.

I know about web based science classes with online labs, but am very skeptical and would rather not do it.

It seems that once my BA is complete, I will be stuck. I am looking for any alternatives; so far it looks as if my only alternative would be to leave active duty when my term is up (Jan 12), and apply for a post-bacc pre-health certification program, in which I should be able to use the GI Bill. I would have to relocate to do this and cannot rely on family for help.

I would like to hear any realistic thoughts and/or advice about any other alternatives one may have. With 10 years of active duty service, it is a very big decision to make. Once I leave active duty I cannot rejoin and will have to find some other job unless I get accepted to the HPSP or USUHS medical school program, which is my objective. I have a sense of security with my job and have good benefits, I fear loosing it for good. I do have a wife to support, no kids yet.
Have you tried posting this in the non-traditional students forum? You'll likely get more informed answers there.

I completed a post-bac and it was all done through night classes, so it is possible. Unfortunately my school is on the other side of the country. Also, I tried to do it while working full-time and often more as well, and ended up quitting. There are some others who worked full time as well, and stuck it out. Is there any chance you can cut back your hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried posting this in the non-traditional students forum? You'll likely get more informed answers there.

I completed a post-bac and it was all done through night classes, so it is possible. Unfortunately my school is on the other side of the country. Also, I tried to do it while working full-time and often more as well, and ended up quitting. There are some others who worked full time as well, and stuck it out. Is there any chance you can cut back your hours?

I can't cut back my hours, I do what I am told. I work by the flying schedule and aircraft always fly and always come first in my job, which is the drawback of being active duty while knocking out classes that are hard to schedule around. I didn't know this was what I wanted to do when I signed up, otherwise I would have gone to school after high school. I didn't know about the non traditional student forum, I will repost in that area. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

No problem. And I figured as much with your hours - thank you for your service.

Good luck with post-bac and applying! :)