Post-Bacc Pre-Medical Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldies

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anybody know if there is a program designed to help post-baccalaureate student preparing to get into DO schools? especially in California since I live in LA area. Many thanks for any advice along this line of question or how to improve a chance of getting into DO school for a 42-year old retired engineer who badly wants to become DO

Members don't see this ad.

I did Columbia University's Postbac Program. Like myself, I have friends who are applying to both osteopathic and allopathic schools. Because the prerequisites are the same for DO schools and MD schools, and pretty much all the other admissions criteria is the same between the two, I would say that it does not matter which postbac program you choose to attend. What is important is that you choose the school that has the best academic reputation, as well as strong stats for previously admitted students. I don't know of any postbac programs in LA but you can look in the AAMC's Medical School Admissions Requirements and you'll find a list of many programs throughout the country. Good luck.

I believe it is especially important for you (because at 42 you cannot afford missteps) to get your questions answered most reliably directly from an osteopathic medical school. I suggest you try to make an appointment to VISIT a DO school and ask your questions face to face, rather than by telephone or e-mail.

There are two California schools.

Western University of Health Sciences/College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
309 E. Second St.
College Plaza
Pomona, CA 91766-1854

Office of Admissions: 909 623 6116

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine

Mare Island, CA 94592
707 562 5100
888 887 7336 (in California)
888 880 7336 (outside CA)

e-mail: [email protected]

The information from those two colleges is probably valid for osteopathic medical schools in general.