Post Bacc Premed journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halemaumau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings forum.

I'm looking for folks with opinions or experience that could provide some perspective on my situation.

Here's the deal. I'm 34 and have decided to change careers and become an MD. I took almost zero science (and math) in college. I've looked at various structured and semi-structured post bacc premed programs (via the AAMC website). Some of these programs seem to be very successful at placing their graduates in good med schools. I'm wondering if any of you could comment on this whole process of either going through one of these structured/semi-structured programs, or, perhaps just taking all the prereques at a large university such as the University of Washington (I live in Seattle), that have at least a premed advisor that also works with post bacc students (per their website). I would likely take an a additional math course on top of the usual 8 semesters of chemistry, physics, and biology.

I'm specifically interested in how these various structured post bacc programs are perceived by med school admissions people vs. just taking them at a university.

I've priced out various programs, and at least at the UW here in Seattle, it would take two years of at least ten credits per quarter, meaning full time. This comes out to about 18k. Not that far off of say Goucher's program at 26k for a year and a summer, and at a program like that I'd get through it faster, in addition to all the other perks of a highly structured program.

Thank you for your time responding. It's exciting for me to begin planning this journey, and I feel this website will be a huge resource. I'm sure I'll be back frequently as the years go by, and I'm glad to be in the company of like minded folks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Greetings forum.

I'm looking for folks with opinions or experience that could provide some perspective on my situation.

Here's the deal. I'm 34 and have decided to change careers and become an MD. I took almost zero science (and math) in college. I've looked at various structured and semi-structured post bacc premed programs (via the AAMC website). Some of these programs seem to be very successful at placing their graduates in good med schools. I'm wondering if any of you could comment on this whole process of either going through one of these structured/semi-structured programs, or, perhaps just taking all the prereques at a large university such as the University of Washington (I live in Seattle), that have at least a premed advisor that also works with post bacc students (per their website). I would likely take an a additional math course on top of the usual 8 semesters of chemistry, physics, and biology.

I'm specifically interested in how these various structured post bacc programs are perceived by med school admissions people vs. just taking them at a university.

I've priced out various programs, and at least at the UW here in Seattle, it would take two years of at least ten credits per quarter, meaning full time. This comes out to about 18k. Not that far off of say Goucher's program at 26k for a year and a summer, and at a program like that I'd get through it faster, in addition to all the other perks of a highly structured program.

Thank you for your time responding. It's exciting for me to begin planning this journey, and I feel this website will be a huge resource. I'm sure I'll be back frequently as the years go by, and I'm glad to be in the company of like minded folks!

Hi and welcome :)

You might want to try:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

and for questions on specific post-bacc programs:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Hope that helps and good luck!

I did my post-bac at UW as a non-matric. PM me if you have specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goucher has an excellent reputation. Getting out sooner and saving a year's living expenses and becoming a physician a year sooner make it a better bargain, IMHO.

Many of these post bac programs set the bar very high, either in the admission process or in the coursework (such that many begin but far fewer finish). If you get out with a reasonable gpa, you will have a good shot at the school of your choice. Although I'm not as familiar with Goucher as I am with some others, they tend to have connections to volunteer sites, labs, etc so that you can gain the extracurricular experiences that will round out your application.

Goucher has an excellent reputation. Getting out sooner and saving a year's living expenses and becoming a physician a year sooner make it a better bargain, IMHO.

Many of these post bac programs set the bar very high, either in the admission process or in the coursework (such that many begin but far fewer finish). If you get out with a reasonable gpa, you will have a good shot at the school of your choice. Although I'm not as familiar with Goucher as I am with some others, they tend to have connections to volunteer sites, labs, etc so that you can gain the extracurricular experiences that will round out your application.

Yes that definitely seems to be the case (at Goucher as well) re: connections to volunteer/research/medical employment during the "glide year". I'd say that's a major benefit.

And at least as far as Goucher, I don't think many people drop out of their program. It's about 30-40 students, very intimate, and something like 99 percent acceptance to med school. So perhaps at least with that one, it's more difficult to gain acceptance. I'm becoming quite enamored with that program, actually. Although I should get more information on acceptance rates, requirements for acceptance, etc.

Which ones are you more familiar with, reputation, etc?

Good luck, it's going to be a fun process. 2 years ago I was in the same position as you and about a month ago I got my first acceptance. Applying to med school is a long process but its all worth it when you find out you're going to be a doctor.

As for pre-reqs, I just took mine outside of any organized program (U. Of Texas). Very cheap and only took a year and a half. If there's a quicker way I'd do that but I can't imagine you could do all the pre-reqs any faster than I did. Also, it's very easy to volunteer in an ER. Nearly every hospital has and organized volunteering program, you don't need a school for that.

Anyhow, good luck.