Post-Bacc Program, MS in Oral Biology, or MS in Biomedical Sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenextcarnegie

D.D.S. Candidate
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All!

So I thought I'd get some advice. I am considering either one of these 3 programs. I started an ultimate list of these a little while back for anyone that was looking into the programs. However, I wanted to see if people had either a good or poor experience in these programs? My overall stats are solid but it's my science GPA that kills me. I am looking at NYU's MS in Oral Biology, Temple's Post-Bacc, Boston's Oral Health Sciences, Tufts MBMS, or Rutgers MBMS. I will provide the links at the bottom of the post. But, any useful or insightful replies would be greatly appreciated!

Barry: Dental Curriculum : About the Program : Biomedical Sciences, MS : College of Nursing and Health Sciences : Barry University, Miami Shores, Florida

BU: Oral Health Sciences Admissions » Graduate Medical Sciences | Boston University

NYU: Biology/Oral Biology

Rutgers: Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences Newark Division

Tufts: MS in Biomedical Sciences (MBS) | Tufts University School of Medicine Public Health and Professional Degree Programs

Temple: Post Baccalaureate Program | Temple University - Maurice H. Kornberg School of Dentistry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can vouch and say Barry has a great reputation for getting students into dental schools.

I can vouch and say Barry has a great reputation for getting students into dental schools.

Okay, thanks, Kingfish! Did you do the program? If so what have you heard about either the 12 or 18-month track?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks, Kingfish! Did you do the program? If so what have you heard about either the 12 or 18-month track?
Yes I did. 12 month is very challenging, and remember if you’re going to do a masters you need A’s. I recommend the 18 month track, as that’s what I did and It worked out well.

Yes I did. 12 month is very challenging, and remember if you’re going to do a masters you need A’s. I recommend the 18 month track, as that’s what I did and It worked out well.

Got it! Now I read somewhere that recommendation letters are hard to get from staff (because there is not a lot of staff), how true is this? And is there a library now that students can study? Sorry for asking such picky questions but just wanting to find out information about the program. Also, do you attend a dental school now? If so, when you applied AFTER doing the barry program did your chances increase that much?

Got it! Now I read somewhere that recommendation letters are hard to get from staff (because there is not a lot of staff), how true is this? And is there a library now that students can study? Sorry for asking such picky questions but just wanting to find out information about the program. Also, do you attend a dental school now? If so, when you applied AFTER doing the barry program did your chances increase that much?
In my experience, the faculty are more than willing to write letters for you. In most cases, you just need to spend some time talking to the professors. I was just accepted on Friday to BU and applied in June while finishing up. I believe it definitely made me more competitive.

Okay! That's some positive news! Would you mind if I Pm'd you to continue the conversation?

Hi @thenextcarnegie ! I saw that you were looking at a post-bacc v masters programs, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to share which program you decided to do and some of your experience on it? I am in a slightly similar situation in deciding, except my sGPA is quite horrid, and I would really appreciate any input or advice you could possibly offer? Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Hi @thenextcarnegie ! I saw that you were looking at a post-bacc v masters programs, and I was wondering if you'd be willing to share which program you decided to do and some of your experience on it? I am in a slightly similar situation in deciding, except my sGPA is quite horrid, and I would really appreciate any input or advice you could possibly offer? Thank you!!!

Hi! I actually applied for Barry, Tufts, and the Boston program. I was thankfully admitted to dental school at NYU so I didn't need to do any of the programs. I think all 3 programs are wonderful and the people are quite nice. I have a lot of insight to all of the programs since I networked with many of the current students in the programs, so if you need specific help you can PM me. But if you choose any of those 3, I think you will be successful in entering dental school!

Reactions: 1 user