post bacc programs in the north east area of U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LupaCupcake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which post bach programs any of you have taken in the north east area of the U.S?

When I move back to the U.S in 2012 I will need to do a post bacc program or just take some science courses ala carte to finish up all of my science requirements since they are not all offered here as face to face classes.

I am trying to stick to the north east of the U.S because my mother is in Ohio and she is really the only family we have other than us. (me, hubby,daughter) I am not necessarily trying to move to Ohio though, I get along better with my mom when we don't live in the same state haha. I would say Maryland is probably an option even though that is getting into the south because my bachelors is from a Maryland based school already.

Any post bacc programs you would suggest? I preferably want something that is 1 year. I will not need any biology, eng, calc or stats. I already have that taken care of. I need some chem and some physics.I would really like to throw in a biochemistry course since so many encourage it. I do not want a CC.

Any suggestions? BTW....don't say New York. I don't feel like explaining, but nothing in NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard Extension is the most obvious one, and you can look through the postbac forum for more ideas.

Best of luck to you.

I feel like :smack: for not doing that first

I usually search for something before posting, but today I was posting stuff in between scanning and printing out stuff so I wasn't really paying too much attention

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I spent 6 months in nontrad before I discovered postbac. You're ahead of schedule.

Yeah the postbac forum is in the outer orbit. But clutch for the right inquiry.

I can vouch for the Harvard extension school. Excellent courses. Great value for your money.

And the best slice of Sicilian pizza in the known universe right around the corner. I had 15 lbs of fluff to prove it.

I have a couple of classmates that did the Columbia program - they seemed to have liked it. But it is $$$ - probably on the same level as Harvard's ext.

I am trying to stick to the north east of the U.S because my mother is in Ohio and she is really the only family we have other than us. (me, hubby,daughter) I am not necessarily trying to move to Ohio though, I get along better with my mom when we don't live in the same state haha. I would say Maryland is probably an option even though that is getting into the south because my bachelors is from a Maryland based school already.

Any post bacc programs you would suggest? I preferably want something that is 1 year. I will not need any biology, eng, calc or stats. I already have that taken care of. I need some chem and some physics.I would really like to throw in a biochemistry course since so many encourage it. I do not want a CC.

Based on your previous posts, I'm pretty sure that I know where your bachelor's will be from. If your bio is also from there, you want to be very careful about it and may want to consider retaking face-to-face. I know they offer courses with labs, but the lab courses are for non-majors per the course descriptions.

Since you say you'll consider Maryland: There's a relative glut of postbacc programs in Maryland. Goucher and Hopkins offer formal postbaccs. Both are expensive, but both also have formal linkages. If you're more interested in a cheaper DIY kind of deal, take a look at Maryland's program. You'd be able to take courses a la carte at the latter. No linkages, though.

Maryland does offer a year of inorganic, a year of organic, and a year of physics as well as a course in biochemistry. All of them are offered at night. I don't know if that's a plus for you, but it certainly is for most of their population.

When you say for non majors are you talking about bio courses that are not for science majors? If that is the case then yes they have some of those and they have ones for science majors.

I am not fooling myself to think that my school is on the top. I only go to this school because I have to. It is represented at all military posts so no matter where we get stationed I know a rep from my school is available and I can take face to face classes. They also offer a lot of scholarships for military people which I have found very beneficial. No school loans for undergrad :D It is UMUC (university of maryland university college) They are accredited and all that jazz, but I know it is not a highly respected or glorious school.

I did intend to take some upper level bio during my post bacc if possible because it will only help me, prove that my base in bio is strong and only help me put my best foot forward with med school. I like bio anyways.

2 med schools I really like happen to surround Harvard so that works out as well. 1 below and 1 above hehe. You get brownie points if you can name those 2 schools off the top of your head, they are pretty well known. DON'T YOU DARE GOOGLE the answer, that is cheating!:laugh:

at this point...harvard extension is #1 for post bacc

I am not fooling myself to think that my school is on the top. I only go to this school because I have to. It is represented at all military posts so no matter where we get stationed I know a rep from my school is available and I can take face to face classes.

To be clear, I wasn't trying to attack you or the institution--not at all! Actually, far from it. I knew they had upper-level bio courses for science majors, but I didn't think they had face-to-face lower-division intro bio with lab for science majors, so I have learned something. I have a friend who is not considering medical school who goes there, and when he needed a course with lab, he took their natural science offering. Of course, he's a single parent, so he needs to do online courses instead of face-to-face anyway.

Finally, I went to a no-name undergrad and a no-name grad school, anyway, so I am far from throwing any stones based on prestige!

UMD Science in the Evening they have a few upper level courses. It's an informal program, everyone gets instate tuition. And after you take 16 credits with them you are eligible for a Committee letter from the Pre Health Office. I would definitely look into that program. I am in my first semester, and so far it's pretty good. I am taking chem and the prof isn't that great, but then I guess that's what I have heard about chem at UMD (but I think if you work hard you'll be ok, but ask me after I have finished orgo). I have heard better things about the other courses though. Basically if you have a college degree they'll let you in.

I didnt think you were attacking my school hehe. They do have intro bio courses for science majors, but it also depends on location. Some areas offer more classes face to face and in person than others. Some of the classes are only offered online or only offered face to face like physics. It varies since they have reps all over the world offering school to U.S military from Japan, to Iraq to Germany or at the brick and mortar main campus in Maryland.

I do wish I was near Maryland sometimes because I get invited to events that I cannot attend. I get invited to conferences I can't attend and one of those was to honor students so it would have been a nice pat on the back evening haha.

ANYWAYS..off topic

I am jotting down all of these post baccs. I feel like I am prepping for application to "mini-med school" right now just looking at the applications for some of them. Make me do an interview for a post bacc program, pfft...I have been grilled by a military board with scary people boasting fat rank, I ain't skeered :laugh: (owkay maybe a lil...)

Price is a consideration and I was expecting the harvard one to be pricier than that.

One little thing about Maryland, SIE, you do have to take a math placement exam. Which can be a little tricky if you are rusty on math, but if you practice you should be fine.

As a NYC resident, I attempted doing the Hunter College non-degree to get the pre-reqs done. But non-degree students get no priority and the classes closed out before it reached me. So I, too, went to Harvard Extension. I think it's a great program. It's affordable (as cheap as in-state tuition at CUNY) and the chem dept has its act together. One down side is that the classes are at night, which is not for everyone. Except for Bio, all the other pre-reqs are once a week, so it can be quite a lot to take in for a single sitting.

If I'm not mistaken, there are only 4 med schools in MA. Harvard, Tufts, BU and UMass. Since you are not a MA. resident, UMass is out of the question. That leaves Harvard, Tufts and BU. Harvard campus (where Harvard Extension and Harvard Colllege are location) is in Cambridge. I don't believe there are any med schools north of that. Perhaps you were referring to Harvard Medical School's campus in Boston (Longwood area)? Or perhaps you thought Tufts Medical Center (located in Boston's Chinatown) was located in the same area as Tufts University (located in Medford, MA)?

umm no..i was talking about harvard extension..thought that was pretty clear over the progression of this thread

that is my #1 currently

and my residency will be whatever state I choose it to be, we have been in the military for years, my residency is not where I am currently located, i twill be whatever state I decide we are moving to when we leave the military

hey, i live only a couple miles away from harvard and have taken classes through the extension school. it is awesome! i think you would really like it. the previous poster was correct, though, that the pre-reqs are at night. i personally love that schedule, but some do not.

also, a word about UMASS residency. they have really strict requirements, IE you must have lived in massachusetts, pay taxes here, and have your car/license here for five years before you can be considered a MA resident. it's not like other schools.

for instance, i was born in arizona. moved to MA when i was five. moved to AZ with my mom from 16-18. moved back when i was 18 for college. lived here year-round. they would not consider me a resident, even though i have been here for most of my life and was residing here, at that point, for 6 years. it had to do with my car being registered in AZ/holding an AZ license during college.

good luck :) if you have any questions about the area or the extension school, please feel free to message me!

I need to apologize. My previous post was a little "snappy" and may be taken somewhat negative. I have had a rough week, tension headaches and all haha. My body lets me know when I am stressing with some occasional tension headaches and lower back pains.

I didn't mean to snap like that.:D

anywho.....The night classes would actually work nicely. My daughter will be in school during the day (she will be in kindergarten!) so during those times I can do volunteer work or something of that nature. I am hoping to maybe find a daytime job in a clinical setting. Not necessarily full time because I have a lot of things I want to do during my post bacc time and I am DEFINITELY learning that I can't spread myself too thin. That is a flaw of mine, I like to take on everything and its mom all at once then I go :eek:. hehe. I also want to make sure I keep my GPA where it is currently so I need to get an A in all of their classes.

The UMASS reqs are annoying, but nothing I can do about that. My current legal residency is Ohio, but I can change my state residency very easy from where I am right now. I will have it changed before we even leave this duty station and move back to the U.S. It won't be 5 years though. Oh well. No biggie :D

umm no..i was talking about harvard extension..thought that was pretty clear over the progression of this thread

I was not referring to your postbacc, but to this statement:

2 med schools I really like happen to surround Harvard so that works out as well. 1 below and 1 above hehe. You get brownie points if you can name those 2 schools off the top of your head, they are pretty well known. DON'T YOU DARE GOOGLE the answer, that is cheating!

Because I don't know of a med school located north of Harvard campus. I wanted you to be sure you knew that many of the med schools (Tufts, Harvard) are located in an area away from the undergrad campus (BU is fairly close).

Nope.... they are not in the same state. 1 is above that state, 1 is below. I never said they were in MA, I just said 1 below and 1 above :)

they are not in the same state. 1 is above that state, 1 is below
In that case, off the top of my head I'll guess Dartmouth and Brown.