Post-bacc. programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicky

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks for your help on my DO school chances question... My new question is about going into a post-bacc program.. i was looking for a 1 year program which would help me get into DO school. Help me out thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Nicky,

I am currently a public health graduate student. I think a degree in public health will make you more attractive to admissions committees and, more importantly, will make you a better doctor! Drop me a line with any questions!

Good luck!
Matt

Nicky

I agree that a public health degree is an excellant idea. My MPH is in
epidemiology and admissions committies were impressed. However, it would
not be possible to complete such a degree in one year and many med schools
do not like students to leave graduate programs without finishing. Have
you talked to your premed advisor? He/She might have some good ideas.
Also, if your science GPA isn't at least 3.4 you should consider taking
advanced courses in those areas in which you are weak (to boost your GPA
and prove you can do the work). You also need to work on that MCAT! Just
be sure to investigate a number of options so you can choose a course of
action that works well for you. GOOD LUCK!

Deb

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicky,

Are you referring to the post-bac pre-med. programs some schools offer "non-traditional" students who want to apply to medical school?...or are you referring to programs in graduate school?

Dear Nicky,

Deb makes some excellent points.There are graduate programs that allow students to take courses alongside current 1st year med-students. After a year the participant is awarded a Master's degree. However, if one does not enter medical school it might be difficult to find a way to apply your Master's Degree.
On the plus side, this type of program allows one to show admissions committees that you can do the work. I know several students who have gone through such programs at PCOM and were accepted the following year.

Just for the record a Public Health degree can be finished in a year, but it is not recommended. My degree requires 48 credits which translates into 16 credits over three semesters. I have borrowed a lot of money and will be working right up to the date that I leave for med school (UNECOM). I love the program, but am a bit overwhelmed sometimes

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the type of graduate program that i have mentioned.

Good luck!
Matt

thanks on the input... on that 1 year program with med students could you please give me some school info if you have it thanks

Dear Nicky,

I do not have an specific information, but you could check out PCOM's web page. Hopefully, others will have more information for you!

Good luck!
Matt

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best 1 or 2 year degrees? Are you guys getting them through osteopathic schools or elsewhere?

Don't bother with the Master's degree. Admissions committees don't give it
much weight. I just got done with my
second interview and two of the interviewers
told me that my graduate dergrees are good
(I have two), but in order to be fair they
have to judge everyone using the same criteria. This means undergraduate grades and the MCAT. I found this frustrating after spending 4 long (and hard) years in graduate school. If you have good grades and MCAT scores I would recomend doing some sort of volunter position for a year. JVC offers one year placements all over the country. They pay for your housing, give you a meal allowance, and about $100 a month for other expenses. If you don't have the grades, etc.., I would recomend staying in (or going back to) your undergraduate school. I was better recieved by my interviewers for improving my grades over the years rather than my graduate degrees. Sorry for the long post.
Premed1

Nicky,
I am currently in a post bac program for an allopathic school. I did not know about the program until the medical school contacted me. From what I have learned so far, there are several post bac programs through out the country, they are sponsored by the medical schools themselves. I would suggest starting with them first. I know some of the programs have certain requirements such as financial or educational disadvantaged backgrounds. It is definitely worth checking out. My experience has been very good. Good Luck.

Nicky,
I am currently in a post bac program for an allopathic school. I did not know about the program until the medical school contacted me. From what I have learned so far, there are several post bac programs through out the country, they are sponsored by the medical schools themselves. I would suggest starting with them first. I know some of the programs have certain requirements such as financial or educational disadvantaged backgrounds. It is definitely worth checking out. My experience has been very good. Good Luck.

nicky said:
I wanted to say thanks for your help on my DO school chances question... My new question is about going into a post-bacc program.. i was looking for a 1 year program which would help me get into DO school. Help me out thanks

hey nicky,

CCOM has a master's in biomedical sciences program. It is 2 years but you can leave after the first year if you choose . CCOM themselves told me about this program (and the fact that you can leave early to go to med school) and you take the same classes as the medical students. I know other osteopathic schools have master's programs too (not sure which ones) which can be good because you can really get involved with the school and even get some awesome LOR's from them..good luck!

More importantly, WHY DOESNT SDN HAVE A WIKEPEDIA PAGE? ....hint..hint.. someone should start one so I can figure out when SDN started.

I am starting a 1 year master's in biomedical sciences at my undergraduate institution. I have a year to kill, because I am applying for fall 07'. If you would like some more info. on the program private message me. Basically, it is a 32 credit master's with a comprehensive exam at the end of the year. There is no research, but there are several 500 and 600 hardcore science requirements (Mammalian physiology, neuroanatomy, Gross dissection, etc.).

DRKUBA said:
This is proof that most people only read the ops question and answer it without reading the rest of the thread

I think this is proof that you're just trying to get the number of posts you have to go up :laugh: I have read some of your posts though...and I like you..so it's all good.