[Post-Bacc Q] CSUEB, Do Med Schools care where you do post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostsoul91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter where you do your post-bacc? I'm starting at CSUEB in about a month and I want to know if I'm making the right decision. Just curious if the ADCOM's look "down" or weigh that I went to a state school versus a UC.

I've opted for CSUEB mostly because of cost and convenience to where I live. Another main reason is actually because my MCAT test date is on 9/11 and UC Berkeley Extension started last week.

I graduated from UCB and have a 3.2 currently and would love to get that up to at least get my application past the screenings of most medical schools. I have lots of extra curriculars from college and have actually worked as an EMT and ER Tech, so hopefully that'll sway the ADCOMs to push me into interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it really matter where you do your post-bacc? I'm starting at CSUEB in about a month and I want to know if I'm making the right decision. Just curious if the ADCOM's look "down" or weigh that I went to a state school versus a UC.

I've opted for CSUEB mostly because of cost and convenience to where I live. Another main reason is actually because my MCAT test date is on 9/11 and UC Berkeley Extension started last week.

I graduated from UCB and have a 3.2 currently and would love to get that up to at least get my application past the screenings of most medical schools. I have lots of extra curriculars from college and have actually worked as an EMT and ER Tech, so hopefully that'll sway the ADCOMs to push me into interviews!

Its late here and im tired so maybe im misunderstanding this but, you're saying you are starting a postbac because you have no science classes completed, and yet your MCAT is 9/11? As in this coming 9/11 in the next two weeks? If that is the case, cancel your mcat, because thats going to be ADCOM suicide. If you mean 9/11 of 2016, thats still only a year away and if you're just now learning your sciences for the first time, you'll have a lot to learn and review for the mcat at the same time, which also sounds risky.

To answer your original question - no your postbac location shouldn't matter, as long as its in the US. More information on your situation would be helpful though.

Its late here and im tired so maybe im misunderstanding this but, you're saying you are starting a postbac because you have no science classes completed, and yet your MCAT is 9/11? As in this coming 9/11 in the next two weeks? If that is the case, cancel your mcat, because thats going to be ADCOM suicide. If you mean 9/11 of 2016, thats still only a year away and if you're just now learning your sciences for the first time, you'll have a lot to learn and review for the mcat at the same time, which also sounds risky.

To answer your original question - no your postbac location shouldn't matter, as long as its in the US. More information on your situation would be helpful though.

Haha @heartsink you are indeed mistaken. Sorry about the confusion. I've already finished all my pre-reqs and am just wondering if a post-bacc, in order to enhance my GPA, would matter where I do it.

Haha @heartsink you are indeed mistaken. Sorry about the confusion. I've already finished all my pre-reqs and am just wondering if a post-bacc, in order to enhance my GPA, would matter where I do it.

I don't see the location being a big factor. The hard part will be making a statistical impact on four years of GPA. The ADCOM from my state med school suggests that if we had mediocre grades in science prereqs, that instead of retaking them we specifically aim for upper level science classes (genetics, microbiology, etc) instead. Maybe that would be more fruitful for you?