[Post-Bacc Q] Do Med Schools care where you do your post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostsoul91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it really matter where you do your post-bacc? I'm starting at CSUEB in about a month and I want to know if I'm making the right decision.

I've opted for CSUEB mostly because of cost and convenience to where I live. Another main reason is actually because my MCAT test date is on 9/11 and UC Berkeley Extension started last week.

I graduated from UCB and have a 3.2 currently and would love to get that up to at least get my application past the screenings of most medical schools. I have lots of extra curriculars from college and have actually worked as an EMT and ER Tech, so hopefully that'll sway the ADCOMs to push me into interviews!

Members don't see this ad.

By far the most important factor is to do well in a post-bacc.

There are some schools that will recognize a certain prestige of some formal post-bacc programs. But all of that means absolutely nothing if you don't do well. Go wherever you'll do well; even it means doing a DIY at your state school or your own undergrad. Just take upper level science classes or any pre-reqs you need and do well. Doing well in a formal post-bacc might provide a bit of a boost to an applicant over doing well in a DIY post-bacc at a state school but that boost is not significant enough to spend significant time worrying about or to make up for poorer performance. What you need to focus on is to do is do well in upper level science classes be it your undergrad institution or be it in a formal post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 user