Post-bacc science gpa boost: undergrad classes or masters classes?

Discussion in 'Re-Applicants [ MD / DO ]' started by Blondnuttyboy, May 15, 2007.

1. Blondnuttyboy

7+ Year Member

hey all,

my science gpa is somewhere around 3.4...i graduated this may and i'm more than likely looking to increase the science gpa. i have a few questions:

will adcoms weigh the difficulty of master's classes in comparison to undergrad classes? i could take like 15 units of bull**** science classes and go 4.0 OR i could take 6-9 units of more med school esque difficult masters classes.

also - even though taking a year of science will only boost me maybe .1-.15, will the effort look good nonetheless?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gotmeds?

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you want to boost your GPA, you'd be better off taking the 15 units of bull**** science classes, since they'll be factored into your UGGPA while master's classes will not. Although I'd be careful about being so cavalier about it. Aren't these the same bull**** science classes that got you a 3.4 in the first place?

4. Blondnuttyboy

7+ Year Member

heh heh that's a good point. my 3.4 is primarily from my freshie and soph year and i've matured well since then. My upper div GPA is ~ 3.7-3.8.

The only reason I had to question everything is because if i take master's classes, I'll actually be persuing something whereas undergrad classes are only a gpa boost. That's Im having trouble deciding which route will look better.

I can't understand how good grades with undergrad science would look better than good grades with masters classes.

5. gotmeds?

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, keep in mind that starting a master's program that you have no intention of finishing might look bad. Taking more upper div science and doing well can only do good things for your application.

6. amartinezz43

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i agree with gotmeds, dont do a masters unless you are committed. plus retaking some undergrad courses too boost your gpa is what my advisor said to do also along with boosting the rest of your app like community service, shadowing, maybe even research + retaking mcat if necessary

7. Blondnuttyboy

7+ Year Member

SO what if I started a master's program (MPH, neuro, or genetics) and intended to finish it?

Would taking upper-div sciences still look better than that?

I just want to know, flat out, which one is going to be the better option. B/c fact of the matter is neither will drastically change my science gpa in one year so I may as well do which will look better and prepare me more. I would be more interested in starting a masters as I like the challenge but upper-div classes would definitely be easier and I'd be able to take more of them.

8. amartinezz43

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

no to the masters unless you plan to follow up your thesis and pursue md/phd. yes to retaking uppler level sciences, assuming you improve in those classes you could use that in your ps and interviews by pointing out how you improved on some of your weaknesses