Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Post-bacc vs DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by JJJD, Mar 19, 2004.

1. JJJD

JJJD Junior Member
    15+ Year Member

Should I apply to a post-bacc program or should I go for the DO degree if your GPA is 3.20

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you crazy man. DO OF COURSE. Why waste another year at a postbac if you already got into med school. It doesn't make sense. Even if you do post bac and apply to MD schools after, you still may not get in with a 3.2 unless your mcat is 32+. Don't do it man. You'll be wasting two years while you could be in med school already.

4. Md 2b In TN

7+ Year Member

I was faced with pretty much this same situation last year, stay out and do research or go to a DO program that I was accepted to. I chose to stay out, I think it was the right thing for me because I accomplished alot of research goals that I wasn't able to in college.

My advice is to make damn sure you have a good reason to set out, and know this, no one, and I mean no one, will understand why you make the decision to stay out a year. It is still a sore subject between me and my father. You have to be convinced this is the right choice if not go ahead and go, you can always transfer or reapply.

PM me if I can be of more help.

5. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

Interesting. Have you then been accepted to an MD program?

Also JJJD, I saw your other post about 24 mcat and 3.3. Don't think it will be a cakewalk for you to get accepted to a DO school. I was under the impression you were already accepted but you're not. Your mcat is low even for DO schools. I would advise you to take the mcat and score a 30 or above if you want a shot at an MD school, and a 27 or above if you want a shot at a DO school.

6. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you aced your MCAT you can go to a MD school easily.

I'd take advice from DO supporters with a grain of salt. If your heart is set on a M.D., then nothing should stop you. What is one year in the big scheme of things?

That said, both are physicians, so just think about what is really important to you, and go that way.

7. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

I would take anyone's advice with a grain of support including the non-DO supporters.

8. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Agreed.

I'm not a non-DO supporter, nor am I a DO supporter. I just think people should weigh what is most important to them. Just because I told him if his dream is a MD doesnt mean I dont support DOs.

I think you're a great example of following what is important to you: location, despite what others may say. More people should follow your example.

However, if what is important to the OP is a "MD" degree, then he should use that weigh options.

9. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

True that. I guess my opinion is a bit biased and I tend on acting impusively at times. I don't understand it when someone like me who is willing to choose DO over US MD exists while there are people who would choose a postbac over a DO acceptance. :confused:

Oh well, what you said makes sense though. If a person really wants the "MD" then they should do what it takes. :thumbup:

10. JJJD

JJJD Junior Member
    15+ Year Member

I guess I should have been a little bit more precise with the question. :) I did not get accepted to any schools, I am in the process of applying to med-school both MD and DO, and I will also send applications to a couple of Post-bacc as well. The question was, if it comes to Post-bacc vs. DO which one would you suggest.
    Regards:cool:

11. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Pends on what you want. Do you think you are a potential academic, nobel laureate, or neurosurgeon? Will you be miserable learning OMM skills alongside your normal medical skills? Would you be excited to learn OMM?

Are you interested in primary care or some type of ultracompetitive specialty? Do you see yourself practicing in a community setting or an academic one? Rural or urban? Does your state have a lot of DOs? Is there a reason for your low MCAT score that you can rectify? Have you turned the corner academically and feel you are really going to shine in your post bacc program?