post bacc vs undergrad gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spanky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I earned a business degree over 10 yrs ago with an undergrad gpa of 2.5 (thanks to a C=degree attitude). After deciding to return to school to pursue a career in medicine, I have completed 75 hours of post-bacc work with a gpa of 3.99. My post-bacc work includes A's in organic chem, physics, and anatomy. Unfortunately, even with my post-bacc work, my amcas gpa will only be 2.91 when I apply to med school next year.

Will my amcas gpa totally disqualify me or will the admissions committee look at my most recent work? I am taking the mcat in 2002.

Members don't see this ad.

Believe it or not, I was in EXACTLY the same situation. My undergraduate degree (94 grad) was in Accounting and I too had a 2.5. After several years in the business world, I decided to go back to school and take premed classes. I did quite well while working full time as a CPA/Progammer and I think this really helped with the admissions committee. Throw in a competitive MCAT, high quality letters of recommendation and personal statement, and a good interview. I got in the first try, so I know it can be done. I think admission committees are impressed with older students who are intersted in the medical profession and are willing to give up good careers to do it.