Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

post bacc vs undergrad gpa

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by spanky, Dec 16, 2001.

1. spanky

spanky Member
    7+ Year Member

I earned a business degree over 10 yrs ago with an undergrad gpa of 2.5 (thanks to a C=degree attitude). After deciding to return to school to pursue a career in medicine, I have completed 75 hours of post-bacc work with a gpa of 3.99. My post-bacc work includes A's in organic chem, physics, and anatomy. Unfortunately, even with my post-bacc work, my amcas gpa will only be 2.91 when I apply to med school next year.

Will my amcas gpa totally disqualify me or will the admissions committee look at my most recent work? I am taking the mcat in 2002.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future_Doc

Future_Doc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Believe it or not, I was in EXACTLY the same situation. My undergraduate degree (94 grad) was in Accounting and I too had a 2.5. After several years in the business world, I decided to go back to school and take premed classes. I did quite well while working full time as a CPA/Progammer and I think this really helped with the admissions committee. Throw in a competitive MCAT, high quality letters of recommendation and personal statement, and a good interview. I got in the first try, so I know it can be done. I think admission committees are impressed with older students who are intersted in the medical profession and are willing to give up good careers to do it.

4. spanky

spanky Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the encouragement Future Doc. Do you have any advise on which schools to apply to? Did you get interviews from most of the schools that you applied to? Was your GPA brought up in your interviews and would you advise addressing it in your personal statement?

5. doppl

doppl Member
    7+ Year Member

I graduated in '96 with a 2.9 in economics and finished my post-bacc pre-med with a 3.97 science and a good MCAT. So far I've been gettting great interviews and already got accepted to a school. So far, interviewers just bring up the "what happened?" question regarding UG but they seem to be more interested in my work experience and my ECs which makes sense. You're applying now, not ten years ago and Adcomms know you're a different person.
    You should probably match up the schools you apply to accordingly with your MCATs which should go well as you did well in the sciences. The other factor is the school where you took your post-bacc classes. The advisor there should be able to point out the schools you should apply to, which is usually the schools that they have experience getting students into. Feel free to add in reaches and good luck. Its a pain in the ass but it should pay off in the end.