Post Bacc vs Undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmyWife1153

Hurry Up & Wait
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a 3.74 undergrad GPA for my 1st bachelor's.

But I've got those science prereqs that I need to take. So, I'm going back to my uni as a 2nd bachelor's degree.
Now, I know that AMCAS adds those post bacc classes to my undergrad gpa.

But how do med schools view it if I have a 3.74 1st bachelor's degree and a 3.5 post bac GPA (just guessing)?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All things being equal, an upward trend is better than a downward one. That said, 3.74 is right in the sweet spot for all but the most selective schools, and well within the 10%/90% even there. Get mostly A's and you should be fine. A 3.68 (3.74 BA + 3.5 postbacc) overall is probably better than a 3.45, (3.3 BA + 4.0 postbacc) though you do want to make sure your BCPM GPA is solid.

And are you sure you need a second BA? Many schools allow you to take your post baccalaureate coursework as a non-degree student, and even if you have to take the all the pre-reqs that's... what, 1/3, 1/4 of a BA?

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. I don't have to finish the 2nd bachelor's degree. But if I do find an area I want to do like maybe psychology, you only take the upper division courses so like 30 hours, which I'd easily add A's to my transcript.

I can't do non degree at my university because I have a couple grad classes that I have to retake to clean up my transcript and the only way I could get readmitted was as a 2nd bachelor's degree in order to do that.
Plus, I have my husband's GI bill and you can't use that as a non degree student. So, the gi bill will cover all of the prereqs I need to take plus about 1.5 years of med school.

But how do med schools view it if I have a 3.74 1st bachelor's degree and a 3.5 post bac GPA (just guessing)?
Thanks.

Presuming your postbacc will only consist of a handful of courses, I would hope that schools would be forgiving of a dip if, when considering the entirety of your transcript, you're still earning grades consistent with your undergraduate history. Smaller sample size, and all that.