Post-Bacc Year vs SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

startswithb

Future Urologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's December and I have had one interivew, resulting in being placed on a "accept when place available" list; still waiting for an acceptance. Chances at this point are good, but not a guarantee. No other interviews yet.

Here is my GPA situation: (Chemistry degree in '09)

BCPM
Freshman 2.74 (23 hrs)
Sophomore 2.96 (23 hrs)
Junior 3.52 (27hrs)
Senior 3.13 (15 hrs)
Post-bacc 4.00 (4 hrs)
Cumulative 3.14
Graduate 4.00 (4 hrs)

All other GPA: 3.88 (51 hrs, many in honors program)

Cumulative
Freshman 3.00
Sophomore 3.11
Junior 3.73
Senior 3.50
Post-bacc 4.00 (4 hrs)
Cumulative 3.41
Graduate 4.00 (4 hrs)

MCAT: 11 VR 10 PS 10 BS = 31O Taken this past summer.

ECs: Many. Continuing. Not a problem.

This is what would happen if I enrolled in a full year of post-bacc undergraduate science courses (32 hrs) with a 4.0:

BCPM GPA from 3.14 to 3.36
CUM GPA from 3.41 to 3.51

My question is: Is this a big enough impact on my GPA, considering a massive upward trend, to reapply, or would a SMP be more beneficial in my situation?

Thank you for any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

My question is: Is this a big enough impact on my GPA, considering a massive upward trend, to reapply, or would a SMP be more beneficial in my situation?
IMO, the main flaw in your application is that you applied with a downward trend your senior year with only 4 hours of 4.0 postbac to reverse the negative impression that was left. I don't think you need a massive upswing in the actual BCPM. It will be enough to establish consistent excellent grades in upper-level Bio to reassure adcomms that you can survive their curriculum, so I'd be more in favor of the full-time unofficial postbac.

A disadvantage of an SMP, besides the expense, is that one misstep in their preset very-rigorous curriculum and your hopes are forever dashed at every med school if your GPA isn't in the "acceptable" range. That said, if you are ambitious, great grades in such a program might be your key to an acceptance at more selective programs for which your excellent ECs (to my recall) would well suit you.

JMO.

Thanks for the response! I am too leaning toward enrolling as a post-bacc student at a local university, because it's less expensive, and I don't feel I need the extra incentives that the SMPs give (MCAT prep, volunteer opportunities, advising, etc).

My next dilemma is deciding how many hours I would need to take. Then, when to reapply? I could either apply next June with updates on my summer and fall grades, but I assume those would not have the same impact as they would calculated into my primary app? Or, I could do a full year of post-bacc and apply in June 2012 :eek: which seems sooo far away.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might be helpful for you to know that "lateness" of application is not an impediment to full consideration at SIU, due to the small pool of applicants, so you might reasonably wait until both spring and summer grades are in before applying in August or so with the improved GPA and latest classes on your transcript. If you don't get off the AWPA list you might talk with their admissions staff and ask their opinion about applying then vs waiting until summer 2012. I'm not aware that they discriminate against reapplicants, but you could ask about that too.

You're right, SIU will even hold your app until final grades come in in December, and interviewing in January isn't really a disadvantage. With that said, if I do not get in off AWPA this year, enrolling full-time next fall in courses and applying this June would be fine. If unsuccessful, I can throw in my hat to other schools that upcoming June.

Hopefully I get in this year. I have to. Lol. I'm just trying to come up with a reasonable back up plan JIC.

Thanks Cat, from another cat lover. Yours reminds me of our beloved Maine Coon who passed away recently.