post baccalaureate? Graduate school? or ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KWAN53795

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently a senior looking to graduate in this summer 2014.

I had made a decision with motivation to go to Medical school at the end of my Junior year.

My current GPA is very weak standing around 2.8
My major is Biology B.S.
I have not taken MCAT and GRE yet

I have done around 200 volunteering hours and participated in many school activities
including becoming the E-board member of one of the medical student association at my school for two years.

It comes to be as a big worry and problem that my GPA is very low compared to some acceptable GPA I have seen and heard about students getting prepared for medical school.

So I and still on the line to decide if I should attend post baccalaureate programs or graduate school to enhance my GPA and gain more experience.

I am also worried that even after I do enhance my GPA by attending more years of school, medical admissions will still look at my undergraduate GPA which is 2.8.

I have also though about enhancing the undergraduate GPA by doing retakes during summer or another semester after my graduation.

I am so confused which direction I should take... my school advisers did not give anymore information than just telling me to attend post baccalaureate programs.

Can someone please help me...

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest post bacc, I was in a similar situation with a 3.2. I got a master's degree in applied biology which allowed me to pursue research and demonstrate I could succeed in upper level biology classes. I graduated took the MCAT and was able to land a research gig at NIH to hold me over.

My path made me more marketable from a research perspective, and it allowed me to pursue my interests. The post bacc would show you can handle the coursework while simultaneously preparing you for the MCAT. Which you must perform well on with a low GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
expanding your ECs will also help, and networking with your local (if there is one) medical school to show that you are hard working and determined

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would thinking about DO rather than MD help?

Also is there any schools you suggest that is near Maryland or Virginia that will accept a student with GRE score and a GPA of 2.8?
Because many schools have requirement of minimum GPA of at least 3.0

Thank you for your reply!

In addition, would leaving the undergraduate with GPA 2.8 affect me a lot? Because I heard the Medical admissions
heavily look at my undergraduate GPA too after I have gone through post baccalaureate program.

Also what GPA range would you say students like me should aim for when studying in post bac programs?

Thank you so much for your help!

DO is absolutely an option, but realize it will be more difficult to match into a competitive residency. Carribean is another option, but it is your last if all else fails.

https://services.aamc.org/30/msar/home

Subscribe to this, its worth it, and you will need it to pick which schools you are most competitive for.

If your MCAT is over 30 and you have good ECs you have a shot at UMD. USUHS is another option but you must weigh the commitment

http://www.usuhs.mil/

In Virginia I think VCU and EVMS are your best bets.

Your going to need to apply to some farther reaching schools that are less competitive, MSAR will have that info

2.8 is def sub-par, but you show your stuff in the post bacc and you have a shot. You need to do your absolute best, a 4.0 would show very strongly. At least you need to pull off over a 3.5 remember your trying to show that you can succeed at medical school coursework and your post bacc grades should reflect that.

SMPs are also another option even though they are expensive. They are masters programs where you take the first years worth of medical school classes, if you can hang and perform well they take you in outright. If you perform badly its not going to reflect on you very well and you would have wasted a lot of money

I don't know a whole lot about the DO process, I do know that they adjust your GPA if you retake things where as MD schools won't. The DOs will be easier to get into, but you must have a LOR from a DO

I don't know a whole lot about the DO process, I do know that they adjust your GPA if you retake things where as MD schools won't. The DOs will be easier to get into, but you must have a LOR from a DO

The DO application process replaces grades when an equivalent course is (re)taken.
You do not have to have a DO LOR to get into all DO schools -- some require it but many don't (I never had one and I was admitted to most I applied to. 2 cited my lack of DO letter in my rejection, but strangely others have not had a problem at those institutions without a DO LOR).

Thanks for your replies!

These comments are so much helpful.

I have another question. I am considering to take another semester at my school to enhance my undergraduate GPA.
I am worried that carrying around my poor undergraduate GPA of 2.8 would be bad for me in the future.
If I do take another semester to retake some courses I am planning to enhance my undergraduate GPA up to at least 3.1 or 3.2
I know that this would mean more time and money spent.

DO you think it is worth it or should I move on?

Would Medical schools reflect bad on my past undergraduate GPA even if I did achieve a GPA over 3.5 on my post bac program?

The DO application process replaces grades when an equivalent course is (re)taken.
You do not have to have a DO LOR to get into all DO schools -- some require it but many don't (I never had one and I was admitted to most I applied to. 2 cited my lack of DO letter in my rejection, but strangely others have not had a problem at those institutions without a DO LOR).

Thank you for your reply!

Did you experience any similar situation as I am considering to enter post bac programs or graduate school for more experience and/or to enhance GPA?

Also I have heard that now days medical schools are not really judging the post bac programs in a positive way...

Thanks for your replies!

These comments are so much helpful.

I have another question. I am considering to take another semester at my school to enhance my undergraduate GPA.
I am worried that carrying around my poor undergraduate GPA of 2.8 would be bad for me in the future.
If I do take another semester to retake some courses I am planning to enhance my undergraduate GPA up to at least 3.1 or 3.2
I know that this would mean more time and money spent.

DO you think it is worth it or should I move on?

Would Medical schools reflect bad on my past undergraduate GPA even if I did achieve a GPA over 3.5 on my post bac program?

An extra semester would help, as long as you took advanced level classes and got A's. You just have to figure if its worth the extra time and money, it will affect your application positively, you have to decide if its worth it or not.

A low undergrad is going to reflect badly no matter what, its baggage you must carry. A strong post bacc and strong MCAT can potentially offset the shortcomings.

I am 26 so its coming down to a time thing for me, if your young do whatever is in your power. The level to which you try will be reflected in your application, and that is what adcoms want to see. Absolutely remember to build your ECs as well.

Hello,

A solid gpa in a post bach will help offset your low college GPA. The fact that you have over 200 hours of volunteering will be an asset to you when you tell your story. There are several programs where heavy volunteering is seen as a heavy plus. Also, if you can land a top research opportunity while you complete the post bach, your chances for admissions to Med school program will also improve. - Admissions to Medicine

DO will be the easier pathway. Retake any F/D/C science coursework and let GAACOMAS' grade replacement policy do its magic. Does wonders for the old GPA. But if you're boning for an MD degree, a post-bac or SMP is the thing to do. You'll need to ace this (like, >3.5 GPA) and ace MCAT (>33) and you'll find that there are MD schools that reward reinvention.

Would thinking about DO rather than MD help? Also what GPA range would you say students like me should aim for when studying in post bac programs?

Are you asking about post-bac or MS programs? They're a dime-a-dozen, so do your homework. Georgetown, PCOM and Drexel are three that come to mind.

Also is there any schools you suggest that is near Maryland or Virginia that will accept a student with GRE score and a GPA of 2.8? Because many schools have requirement of minimum GPA of at least 3.0

No, the post-bac is what's suppose to convince AdComs that you can handle medical school.

In addition, would leaving the undergraduate with GPA 2.8 affect me a lot? Because I heard the Medical admissions heavily look at my undergraduate GPA too after I have gone through post baccalaureate program.

You have heard wrong.

Also I have heard that now days medical schools are not really judging the post bac programs in a positive way...[/quote]