Post class hours here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToBe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my fellow first years-to-be:

What time do you start and end on most days?

Me--start at 9, get out at 3 for first three weeks, then get out at 5 for the rest of the semester.

Please post hours, etc. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most days, start at 8. Before Christmas, often out at 2:30. After, someplace between 3 and 5. Doesn't cover lab times, dissections, etc.

Lectures and labs are on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 8 am to 12 noon and Wednesday and Friday from 8 am to 1 pm. Afternoons are for patient appointments, electives, and study time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lecture is Monday-Friday from 9am to noon. Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday afternoons have labs from 1pm to 5pm. Wednesday afternoons have Physicians in Society at 1pm. Some Friday afternoons, there is an extra hour of lecture.

So we're looking at approx. 29 hours of lectures and labs per week.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

[This message has been edited by tristate (edited 07-06-2000).]

What schools? What year?

Well, I'm going to Texas Tech. The 29 hour week is for our first semester. The spring semester is suppose to be lighter.

------------------
And the blessings just keep coming!

At my school we start class at 530 am and usually get out around 10 pm.....and every other night we're in class all night

Oh oops for a sec there I had mistaken myself for an intern

At U of South Florida every day starts at 8:30. Mon, Wed, and Friday lectures until 12 and lab/disections from 1 to 5. Tues and Thursday lecture until 12 and occasional Tuesdays there will be clinical correlation class in the afternoons. (Of course this is for first years.) This is a grand total of 29.5 hours in the classroom.

Goodluck to everyone.

Richard

OK, just finished 1st year...We were in class from 8 to 4 almost everyday, and until 6 on clinical days. But then we did have some Saturday lectures (not without ALOT of grumbling). The schedule is alot like undergrad was for me. Good luck!!

From monday to thursday i have class from 8am to 4:30 and on fridays its from 8am to 12:30. Pretty cool schedule!!!!!

Here is my schedule:

Monday 9-5
Tuesday 8-5
Wednesday 9-5
Thursday 8-1:30
Friday 8:30-5
(There is a 1 hour break for lunch every day at noon)

I guess I should be enjoying my last days of freedom!

------------------
The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.
....Abraham Lincoln

AllAdvantage.com http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=bta487

[This message has been edited by JellyBean (edited 08-04-2000).]

7 am to 10 am..lects
10 to 12....clinics
12 to 2pm....pracs
for summers

Cheers!!

Pretty cool schedule!!!!![/B][/QUOTE]

Hi,

I would like to know the name of your school. I am looking at AUC, is that close bye.?

Thanks for answering my question..

o,yes good luck and be a good Doc...

Tinkerthinker

Members don't see this ad :)
1st year at Penn:

Mon, Wed, Fri: 8-12:30
Tues, Thurs: 8-5

Almost everyday it is 9a - 3p. There are frequent exceptions, but all of them make the day shorter, not longer.

The Downstate has gone out of their way to make the class days shorter. I don't know yet if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

Right now it seems pretty cool.

Geez, you guys have pretty brutal class hours! At my school they try to take an independent learning approach and give the students more study time. My schedule:

Mon, Tues: 8-10:30am, 1-3pm
Wed: 9-10am
Thur:8-10:30am
Fri:8-10:30am, 1-3pm

and then lab every third day from 10:30 until
whenever you finish or just want to leave.

1st yr at Cornell:

M-F 8am- 1pm --> lecs, small groups, problem based learning
Th - 1-5pm --> shadowing preceptors in clinics

easy peasy, but a lot of independent studying required!

Hey Jet,

Cornell is my DREAM school. How do you like it there? I don't have the stats to go there unfortunately. I'll probably end up at the Univ. of Illinois or something. Unless I can stay another year, tack on another major or something and pull up my GPA to above a 3.5!

UConn:

M-F 8-12 Lecture, Lab, PBL, Conference

One afternoon/week 1-5 MD's office/hands on
One afternoon/week 1-5 Clinical skills class

1st Yr at UNC

Monday: 8:30-5
Tuesday: 8:30-5
Wednesday: 8:30-12:30
Thursday: 8:30-5
Friday: 8:30-2:30

When do I have time to study? (or cram is more like it!)

I guess I should clarify by saying that most days we only have 3 lectures 9-10, 10-11, and 12-1.

About twice times a week (usually Wednesdays and Fridays) we will have something going on from 1-3, but nothing as attention demanding as lecture.

Mind you, we haven't started gross yet, AND we haven't been to our clinical sites yet (I think we get our assignments tommorrow).

8 a.m. every day until 4 most days except for Fridays, done at 2.

Pegasus--

Congrats on UNC! I've got my eyes on that school, have had 'em there for a long time... and in fact went there for a year of undergrad. How do you like it? Do you rate it well, are there things you would like to change about it? I hope you don't mind my asking so many questions! If you'd like, email me at [email protected] and share your opinions. Thanks!

Jason

8-noon, everyday,then lunch,
then sometimes we have labs in the afternoon if our number comes up.
otherwise our own free time

1st year.

u of I- urbana

------------------
un amigo fiel es la medicina de la vida

or

livin' la vida loca

Originally posted by imtiaz
Hey Jet,

Cornell is my DREAM school. How do you like it there? I don't have the stats to go there unfortunately. I'll probably end up at the Univ. of Illinois or something. Unless I can stay another year, tack on another major or something and pull up my GPA to above a 3.5!

Old School Tiaz

At UCSF, the first block (prologue) looks like we'll have lectures and small problem based learning sessions M-F from 8-12 or 9-12. The Foundations of Patient Care will be taught to two groups (A & B) and will either be on Tuesday or Thursday from 1 to 4. Anatomy lab will also be on Tuesday or Thursday from 1 to 3'ish.

So, for the most part, MWF afternoons will be free.

Pretty nice.

I think things will change slightly depending on the block, but I'd like get some confirmation from Vader or Becky.

Originally posted by @imtiaz

My propechy hath come true. all kneel before me. etc.

You projecting your fetishes onto others, again? --Trek

Originally posted by @imtiaz
My propechy hath come true. all kneel before me. etc.
I'm always kneeling before you tiaz. That's the way you like it. ;)

Dammit. Trek beat me to the perverse sexual innuendo. argh. +pissed+

What's new? Hey- guess what happened when i was moving in yesterday- got rear ended by a hit and run driver on 59S. eMail me- i can't find your ad dress anymore. --Trek

You could slice the sexual innuendo in here with a knife. Or at least whip it with a furry leather whip. --Trek

Originally posted by Trek
You could slice the sexual innuendo in here with a knife. Or at least whip it with a furry leather whip. --Trek
Did somebody say "whip"? ;)

*praying4MD's ears perk up... all of imtiaz perks up.*