Post-College Research Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurgeoningPhD2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm in my senior year of undergrad, and will be graduating this Spring. I'm hoping to pursue graduate training in clinical psychology; my end goal is a PhD. I'm mainly research oriented, however, I feel that the scientist-practitioner model would be a better fit, compared to that of a clinical scientist.

To the point of my thread: I would like to hear anybody's experience in receiving paid research positions, post-Baccalaureate. I've been told that this is a way to bolster my application (average GPA; low GRE), and help me progress towards my goal of the PhD. I have research experience now as an undergraduate. I've worked in two labs, and I'm currently working on an undergraduate thesis.

Finally, has anybody had success taking a year off to work in a lab, than reapply the following cycle? Is applying to work in a potential advisors lab, a good way to gain admission?

Thank You,

Burge

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Burge,

I took five years off before successfully applying to a PhD program. I think it is wise to use the gap years to confirm/refine your research interests. The first year, I worked in a lab where I thought I might want to apply (more clinically oriented) but then discovered that I was more interested in research compared to clinical work. The subsequent four years I worked in a research oriented lab. I did not apply to programs during those four years, as I was happy where I was and wanted to see the project through.

To answer your question, I think paths like mine are becoming more and more common for clinical psychology students. The year (or two or five) off should be in a position that will help you not only bolster your application but help you focus your research/career interests. However, I didn't work in a potential advisor's lab and can't think of anyone who has done so. I would think that it would help you demonstrate your competence and offset average scores while helping you network with other faculty members in the same line of work.

Hope this helps!