Post Covid-19 positive patient for procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chn96

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one patient coming for facet joint injection , come to know was positive for Covid-19 2 months ago, asymptomatic. Will you do the injection ? No Symptom?
Will u repeat Covid-19 testing or antibody testing? Before procedure?

Members don't see this ad.

PCR neg 48hrs prior to procedure for liability.
You could use CDC symptoms-based guidelines. Depends on your risk tolerance.

Do the procedure.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just verify they've clearly tested negative after the infection and try to bank some of their plasma in case you get sick...

Has anyone seen surgical guidelines that have been put out for these patients?

Has anyone seen surgical guidelines that have been put out for these patients?

Yeah...I just submitted them. Do the procedure bc there is zero concern here, and you can simply use common sense as your guidelines.

Yeah...I just submitted them. Do the procedure bc there is zero concern here, and you can simply use common sense as your guidelines.
Ok will wait to hear from you for all future medical treatment questions

Reactions: 1 user
Get the test result in writing. Then document the timeline. If asymptomatic for weeks and weeks, you are fine.

Update on this
What are your office/hospital guidelines for return to work or getting procedure?

Given that it is documented that someone can test positive for 90 days and be noninfectious. I tend to follow guidelines that are currently 10days for healthy individuals and 14 days for immunocompromised individuals from symptom onset or first + test.

Just tried to schedule a woman now 45 days from first + test and assymptomatic other than a bit of congestion, she has yet to test negative and a few nurses completely lost their marbles.

Update on this
What are your office/hospital guidelines for return to work or getting procedure?

Given that it is documented that someone can test positive for 90 days and be noninfectious. I tend to follow guidelines that are currently 10days for healthy individuals and 14 days for immunocompromised individuals from symptom onset or first + test.

Just tried to schedule a woman now 45 days from first + test and assymptomatic other than a bit of congestion, she has yet to test negative and a few nurses completely lost their marbles.
educate your nurses

every one of those nurses has had multiple opportunities to be vaccinated. There shouldn’t be any issue, regardless of that, as your patient is clearly no longer contagious.

educate your nurses
I printed off guidelines and reviewed with them. I did not make it abundantly clear that the patient has still tested positive as of last Friday. I feel this is a poor indicator of being infectious and this is supported by current guidelines. They both think they are high risk because of obesity and questionable autoimmune issues. (haha which is also why they refused to get vaccine) I am typically one of the more relaxed physicians in the office. This has been a first to really butt heads with anyone outright.

some states have specific guidelines as to ASC and surgeries.

for example, my state - they have to be retested no earlier than 21 days after symptoms or first positive test, up to 5 days before procedure.

if still positive, then special considerations need to be made and patient is to be treated as suspected continued infected patient.