Post Doc Application Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigdreamer3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to work in the world of forensics and I've had clinical placements doing forensic evals and in a state hospital. The state hospital is an adult population, and the forensic evals were primarily adult with some juvenile evals. Moving forward, I am interested in working with adolescent forensic populations and I tried to secure this experience for internship, but was matched to a DOC working with adults.

My question is about post doc applications. How would I go about marketing myself to post docs that work with child/adolescent pops when I have little experience with that age range, but lots of forensically relevant experience?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest being very upfront in your cover letter and application materials (e.g., essay(s)) about both your strong desire to work with an adolescent population and the lack of experience you have in it. Postdocs are still training positions, so you still have a chance with working with a different population. However, you'll absolutely want to communicate your awareness of adolescent forensic assessment, and speak knowledgeably about the differences between doing so with adults. Adding something, even if it's from a while back, where you worked with children and adolescents in any capacity would be great as well.

I would suggest being very upfront in your cover letter and application materials (e.g., essay(s)) about both your strong desire to work with an adolescent population and the lack of experience you have in it. Postdocs are still training positions, so you still have a chance with working with a different population. However, you'll absolutely want to communicate your awareness of adolescent forensic assessment, and speak knowledgeably about the differences between doing so with adults. Adding something, even if it's from a while back, where you worked with children and adolescents in any capacity would be great as well.

That's a good point! Are most post-doc sites open to people who have less experience?

Imagine you are in an interview and asked: In what ways would your previous experience(s) translate to working with adolescents?

Write down your answer to that question. Include that answer in your cover letter.