Post-Doc OK for a letter of rec???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Beagle, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

Is it bad to have a post doc write you a letter of rec? I have three people that I know would write me good lettters. however, two are post docs and one is a professor emertius.
    I met the post docs cause they were instructors for two courses that I had with them. one was for neural development and the other was for Molecular Pathogenisis... They are just post docs and not professors yet...so is this bad???
    Does the dental school care, so long as they were instructors for a course I took with them?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member

I think that would be fine, but I would make sure I have at least one rec from a professor and one definatley from your dentist :D . Hope this helps.

- Vikas

4. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

Thanks Vikas
    Do you know if a proff emeritus carries the same weight as a professor???

5. DMD DOC

DMD DOC Senior Member

A prof emeritus was once a professor and holds just as much if not more. He or she had probably had more experience with students than normal professors. I think you should be fine and the way it sounds you should have an excellent set of recs.

Good Luck & Keep us Informed!

- Vikas

6. Westside22

Westside22 Senior Member

Beagle,
    As a post-doc, they have received their PhD already, and since they taught a class, they might not be a full time professor, but if they mention in the letter that they were your professor for a certain class, you did well, they recommend you, and sign it with their PhD title, that should be fine. Don't worry about it.
    Prof. Emeritus should be more prestigous as far as I know since they have been a full time faculty before and now they only do research and are not required to teach a lecture or class, most Emiritus must commit a massive amount of time teaching to a univ before getting that status, so i think it's fine if not even better to get a rec from that prof.

7. ske5

ske5 Junior Member

I agree that it shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have some other 'heavy-hitter' type letters. I had a letter from one of my lab instructors, and she only had her B.S. I asked her because I thought she knew me the best out of all my instructors. I think that schools are just trying to get an idea of who you are to see if they can stand to have you in their class for four years!

8. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

Thanks guys for all your help!
    I will ask my post doc's for letters!
    tommorow I am seeing one and bringing a long a box of godiva chocolate to sweeten the deal (and to say thanks for all he has done for me).