Post Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyd2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some questions about Post Docs:
1) Do you interview for Post Docs like you do for internships? If so, do people usually apply to as many as they did for internships? How do they get the money to travel all around again? (some internships only pay 20k for example...)
2) Are Post Docs as competitive as internships?
3) I know some Post Docs prepare you to go into academia, clinical work, etc. But what kind of Post Doc should you go for if you want to do clinical work but do your own research outside of academia?
4) Anything else I should know about the Post Doc process. Currently I plan on completing a forensic Post Doc, with the goal of working with the court system with some research and a handful of therapy clients per week. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do you interview for Post Docs like you do for internships? If so, do people usually apply to as many as they did for internships? How do they get the money to travel all around again? (some internships only pay 20k for example...)

Yes, you do similar interviews with similar questions, in my experience (including case vignettes, etc.). I applied to fewer postdocs and wasn't able to secure an "official" one due to applying in competitive metropolitan areas in which sites were only seeking one or two postdocs per site. I took some bad advice from a psychologist who said it was "much easier" to get a postdoc and to apply to fewer sites. In retrospect, I should've applied to more sites in the large metropolitan areas I was looking into. If you're going for very competitive sites/cities, apply to as many as you think you need to boost your chances and use your connections if you can, depending on what type of sites you're looking for.

Money: I interviewed via Skype for several interviews and one follow-up interview in person, so personal cost was very minimal. Skype was pretty standard and I don't think it hurt me to interview that way. The one I attended in person reimbursed my flight, so look for sites that are willing to reimburse if money is an issue.

2) Are Post Docs as competitive as internships?

It depends. In metropolitan areas, even more so, I would say, because there are far fewer postdocs than internship positions overall, so a lot of grads are scrambling for positions in big cities where they live. In places with less competition, it could be easier than internship. There's no "match" process, but some states or areas have a uniform notification day that they follow, depending on where you apply.

3) I know some Post Docs prepare you to go into academia, clinical work, etc. But what kind of Post Doc should you go for if you want to do clinical work but do your own research outside of academia?

Good question, and I'm not sure about that one. You might go for a more clinical postdoc but connect with other psychologists who want to do research independently via local psychology organizations, etc.

4) Anything else I should know about the Post Doc process.

Be strategic. Like I said, if applying in big cities and you don't have connections at the sites/places, keep in mind that a bunch of postdoc applicants may be vying for one spot. Broaden your scope as needed to boost your chances. If I'd applied to 6 or 7 more sites, I may have had better luck in the process. It doesn't hurt to apply to a few extra places!
I know some people have different experiences based on the specialties they choose in the postdoc year and locale, so keep in mind that I"m speaking from having applied for VA and counseling center postdocs in a few select cities on the West Coast. Your speciality may have less competition, depending on what you're looking for and where. Also, I survived without an official postdoc, simply by applying to clinical jobs where supervision was offered, so keep in mind that "unofficial" postdocs exist, too.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
But what kind of Post Doc should you go for if you want to do clinical work but do your own research outside of academia?

I'm not sure what kind of research you have in mind, but if you are preparing to conduct independent research in any setting then you should spend some of your time on a mentored research project with an experienced PI. Perhaps you could network to find private practitioners who are involved in research in some capacity (eg, as adjunct faculty, etc.) to find out how and what they do, but your own ability to develop and carry out research is where you need to focus now. Ideally, the postdoc would include some protected time for research, but outside of the VA or an academic medical center you may have trouble finding one.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the helpful responses! Also, is there a certain time period within when you have to complete your Post Doc/supervision hours? Like how with internship you must complete it within seven years of starting your doctorate in order to receive your doctorate. I'm asking because after internship I may take off a year or two to have a child, and then pursue my license.

Be strategic. Like I said, if applying in big cities and you don't have connections at the sites/places, keep in mind that a bunch of postdoc applicants may be vying for one spot. Broaden your scope as needed to boost your chances. If I'd applied to 6 or 7 more sites, I may have had better luck in the process. It doesn't hurt to apply to a few extra places!
I know some people have different experiences based on the specialties they choose in the postdoc year and locale, so keep in mind that I"m speaking from having applied for VA and counseling center postdocs in a few select cities on the West Coast. Your speciality may have less competition, depending on what you're looking for and where. Also, I survived without an official postdoc, simply by applying to clinical jobs where supervision was offered, so keep in mind that "unofficial" postdocs exist, too.
Best of luck!

Also I’d like to add, if you’re applying to larger metropolitan areas (like I did), always apply to a couple of lesser competitive sites in less metro areas as a safety net. And if location is a factor, apply to “safety net” sites that are near to where u eventually want to end up.