PhD/PsyD Post doctoral masters in psychopharmacology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmohaulic

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these programs worth it to enhance your practice and better understand your patients health problems and collaborate with their physicians?

I heard they are great to unserstand your patents comorbid issues and medications they are on.

Members don't see this ad.

the person who is fronting the argument against psychiatry doesn't know about MSCPs?!

I know about them, I'm just asking if they are still worth pursuing just for the added specialty knowedge even if you don't prescribe.

Members don't see this ad :)
the person who is fronting the argument against psychiatry doesn't know about MSCPs?!

Btw, do many of you people on here have nothing better to do than to memorize every single solitary person and all the posts they create? if I want to go ahead and challenge someone's thoughts on here I am entitled to do so.

Btw, do many of you people on here have nothing better to do than to memorize every single solitary person and all the posts they create? if I want to go ahead and challenge someone's thoughts on here I am entitled to do so.

just so I'm clear: you don't like when someone challenges your thoughts, but want to be free to do so to other people?

If you can't figure out why people whose profession requires knowing details about peopl, happen to know details... wel...

just so I'm clear: you don't like when someone challenges your thoughts, but want to be free to do so to other people?

If you can't figure out why people whose profession requires knowing details about peopl, happen to know details... wel...

It's not a matter of challenging my thoughts, I don't really think that is what your even doing, it's a matter of bringing up each post that I make on here and essentially memorizing each topic and post I make. For what reason? I can care less what others post.

Are these programs worth it to enhance your practice and better understand your patients health problems and collaborate with their physicians?

I heard they are great to unserstand your patents comorbid issues and medications they are on.
I would think not. As a psychologist, I have way too many other things to learn and skills to hone to bother getting bery involved in something that someone else has more expertise in. I help my patients advocate and educate themselves about medications and improve their ability to communicate with whoever is prescribing their meds.

I would think not. As a psychologist, I have way too many other things to learn and skills to hone to bother getting bery involved in something that someone else has more expertise in. I help my patients advocate and educate themselves about medications and improve their ability to communicate with whoever is prescribing their meds.

Yes, but for those that do want to take on this training?

Given the time investment, cost, and limited benefit (from a financial perspective), it's hard to recommend if you don't plan on using it to prescribe. I did it long enough ago that it was less expensive and it met multiple needs for me (clinical, research, fallback plan). I'm just now looking to complete the process to get licensed, though that is mostly to give myself flexibility if/when I leave academic medicine.

I think for people who want to prescribe from the get-go should look at NPs or MD/DO programs….not because I think the training is better, but because the path to licensure and a comfortable salary is much more straight-forward. Given the limited areas for psychologist prescribing, a person would be limited to a handful of places where they could prescribe. For me (10+ yrs ago) I was okay with Louisiana or New Mexico, so it made sense as a fallback plan. There are more states now (IL and Iowa, with half a dozen other states kicking around legislation), but it is still quite limited in regard to geography.

I plan to pursue this training postdoctorally to allow me to prescribe. My interests are in neuropsychology, and I’m interested in iatrogenic effects on neuropsychological functioning -- Training in psychopharmacology will be useful for my practice as a neuropsychologist and will open other professional opportunities as well; however, if I was not interested in obtaining prescription privileges, then I would not pursue this formal (and often expensive) training.

I plan to pursue this training postdoctorally to allow me to prescribe. My interests are in neuropsychology, and I’m interested in iatrogenic effects on neuropsychological functioning -- Training in psychopharmacology will be useful for my practice as a neuropsychologist and will open other professional opportunities as well; however, if I was not interested in obtaining prescription privileges, then I would not pursue this formal (and often expensive) training.

I ask because I know may psychologists have been taking up this training despite the ability to prescribe or not because they said it increased their knowledge of the biological a sects of the patients and greatly improved their practice.

Also, it opneed up the door for new jobs as consultants of medically complex psych patients at hospitals and such.