Jon Ofalltrades

The Doctor - Luke Fildes
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

I am taking the exam on the 23rd and hoping to score a 510. What worries me is that my post-practice exam feelings are usually misleading, and theres also considerable variability in my practice scores. My fear is that I would have no way of somewhat reasonably deciding to void it at the end or not. I don't want to void a decent test, but I also don't want to have a bad test scored. Is there a rule of thumb you would recommend or used (like if you're clueless/unsure/guess on X number of questions on a section you should void)?

Its just that I feel like my performance is kind of unpredictable:
Kaplan FL exam scores are:
1: 495
2: 495 (1 month ago)
8: 503 (took it section by section in reverse order.....No clue why lol)
3: 498 (2 weeks ago)
4: 505 (only 3 days after the last one)

Princeton review
FL Demo : 498 (129 in psych)

And...a few days ago I took the AAMC sample test:
Chem/Physics: 63%
CARS : 83%
Bio : 81%
Psych: 88%
Total -79%

If this was the actual MCAT....I think I would have voided it based on how I felt at the end, but it didnt turn out too bad

Do you think I could count on this AAMC sample score as the best indicator of my actual MCAT score given all the other practice test scores?
I hear its easy compared to the real deal

Saxappeal1

M.D.
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
In my experience, practice scores are usually +/- 2 points from how you'll really do. In this new scoring system, your average is approximately a 499, or a 24. You should probably expect a 22-26, or a 496-501. If you are hoping for a 510 OP, you should delay your test or void it.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
In my experience, practice scores are usually +/- 2 points from how you'll really do. In this new scoring system, your average is approximately a 499, or a 24. You should probably expect a 22-26, or a 496-501. If you are hoping for a 510 OP, you should delay your test or void it.
Kaplan tests are very difficult and heavily deflated. If anything, OP should gauge their performance by using their AAMC FL score, which is a good score (it's a 509, or roughly a 30 in the old score).

Achieving a 510 is thus very doable in the real deal. Have confidence and do your best OP!

Saxappeal1

M.D.
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hm, back in the old days Kaplan tests were heavily inflated. How the tables have turned.
Should maybe take some more AAMC tests to be sure that you can repeat it. Awesome job OP :D

Reactions: Jon Ofalltrades

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
Hm, back in the old days Kaplan tests were heavily inflated. How the tables have turned.
Should maybe take some more AAMC tests to be sure that you can repeat it. Awesome job OP :D
The new test really did turn the tables, I'll give you that. Sad to say that there is only one AAMC practice test available currently! The second one will come out in October/November.

But your suggestion is still sound, because the AAMC Question Packs (as well as the Official Guide) are excellent practice, and I strongly recommend them if OP hasn't done so.

OP
Jon Ofalltrades

Jon Ofalltrades

The Doctor - Luke Fildes
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
AAMC Question Packs (as well as the Official Guide) are excellent practice, and I strongly recommend them if OP hasn't done so.
Thank you for the encouragement! and I did them a while back, I've just been reviewing the questions I marked

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
I'll add that since it is possible for schools to see if you voided an MCAT now(there've been a bunch of recent threads about this lots of recent controversy but bottom line they can) I really would recommend not voiding unless there is a significant reason to(ie not being able to finish parts of the test).

The kaplan and PR scores are almost useless indicators of anything. AAMC is what matters. If you got a 510 on that, I would say you are in decent position to take the test given your target score and certainly not to void based off not feeling too good about the test or feeling stumped about a bunch of questions. That's kind of how the MCAT works; they force you to answer questions in ways you aren't comfortable and hence you won't be too confident about, even if you end up doing well.

Ad2b

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
back in the old days Kaplan tests were heavily inflated.
Yeah, Kaplan is still seriously UNderinflated for the new MCAT. There is only one AAMC practice test until mid October and even that appears constructed from all the sample sections from the old test.

The AAMC FL scores from the OP are solid except for CP. That is an outlier and if not shored up before Weds, could create some problems with an unstable score (123, 128, 128, 127 - MY guess)

Listen to @GrapesofRath - solid advice!

OP
Jon Ofalltrades

Jon Ofalltrades

The Doctor - Luke Fildes
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Just an update guys: I think I did alright....but I freaked out at the end and i think I voided it.
And thats the problem. There was 1 second left on the void screen timer and i freaked out and pressed void during that split second between when the timer reaches 00:00 and the pop-up that says "Thank you for your selection" comes up. So don't know what happened.
Chem and physics really freaked me out because I marked 26 questions LOL So I am going to delay this burden for another 4 months

UNMedGa

Newbie!
2+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2015
Capital of Passive-Aggression
Status
Medical Student
I'll paraphrase what I learned from my Kaplan course about voiding - only void if you got sick during the test, we're dealing with a traumatic event which happened before the test, or were otherwise unable to finish/had to guess on a large number of questions (probably 15 questions or more).

Also don't be tempted to void your score at the end just because it felt hard. Kaplan said that for some reason this means you may have given a great performance - this ended up being the case for me and I significantly outs cored my practice scores on the Kaplan tests.

Edit: just saw your update so I guess I was too late. Hope you can do your best on it if you ended up voiding and retaking.