Post Extraction Healing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricj7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a side low jaw tooth extracted 12 days ago. It had one root and it all went fine. Doctor had used anesthesia well and there was no pain during or immediate after extraction. Btw, my age is 45 years.

However, now 12 days have passed but where the needle was used i.e. back of the mouth where both upper and lower jaws meet......that area the anesthesia was injected. After 12 days, I am having problems opening the mouth fully i.e. normally and it pains to do so. It is as if some lock has been placed on the back of the jaw. This pain was there from day 1 but I am surprised that it has not gone away by now.

Also, the socket area of extraction, when I press on gums around etc. I can feel the pain. Same during eating if some hard item hits the socket where the tooth was pulled out from.

The dentist who performed this surgery is now far as I did it during the travel to Florida. I need to know a) how long does it take to heal the socket area fully. b) the pain on the area where two jaws meet i.e. back of the mouth, when will it go away and when I will be able to open mouth fully. Even some jerk type action like throwing a ball hard or nodding head, i can feel that jaw pain and it worries me.

I hope I have not caught any infection. Have had extractions before but never took so long for healing. Please advise if I need to go to a dentist or it is just normal going after extraction. Thanks all !!

Members don't see this ad.

SDN is not for medical/dental advice, both for your protection and ours. Please consult with your dentist.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.