Post Fellowship: Academic vs Industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thaliagoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about 1 year away from graduating Pharm School *yay* and I am looking at fellowships. I have 2 choices to make:
1) an academic fellowship, hopefully at UCSF when I am currently a student
2) an industry fellowship, something like the Rutgers program

which ultimately leads to the decision of where I will work after my fellowship (drug company or school of pharmacy). I previously read a post about academic pharmacy which kinda scared me. I was attracted to academic pathway because they get a little bit of teaching/research/clinical work-- sounds like a job where I won't be bored. I looked up the salary for Asst Prof at UCSF School of Pharmacy and their base pay is 75k? Yikes. Is that really true?

My goal is to end up doing clinical research. How is the lifestyle in academic vs. industry, especially if I *may* want to have kids some day?

Another question is, are there any fellowships out there with a clinical/teaching component or any fellowships geared towards academia?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My impression is that industry work will be higher paying, more regular hours, yet more focused on specific tasks as opposed to academia where you get a little bit of everything or anything you want and can afford with the grants you write on your own time which start you off with lower pay.

To address your last question, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia,
In conjunction with Ortho-McNeil Janssen Scientific Affairs offers a Medical Information & Education "Residency" http://www.usp.edu/academics/collegesDepts/PharmPracticeAdmin/Post-Graduate/MedicalInformationEducation.aspx where in addition to their research project the residents also assist in teaching a Drug Information / Literature Evaluation pharmacy course. I am sure there are other residencies / fellowships out there with this type of teaching component.

My question for you is; What type of industry rotations are offered to P4s at UCSF other than with Genentech? With the recent Roche acquisition of Genentech I am wondering about other biotech / industry rotation sites UCSF has set up.

My impression is that industry work will be higher paying, more regular hours, yet more focused on specific tasks as opposed to academia where you get a little bit of everything or anything you want and can afford with the grants you write on your own time which start you off with lower pay.

To address your last question, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia,
In conjunction with Ortho-McNeil Janssen Scientific Affairs offers a Medical Information & Education "Residency" http://www.usp.edu/academics/collegesDepts/PharmPracticeAdmin/Post-Graduate/MedicalInformationEducation.aspx where in addition to their research project the residents also assist in teaching a Drug Information / Literature Evaluation pharmacy course. I am sure there are other residencies / fellowships out there with this type of teaching component.

My question for you is; What type of industry rotations are offered to P4s at UCSF other than with Genentech? With the recent Roche acquisition of Genentech I am wondering about other biotech / industry rotation sites UCSF has set up.

I didn't pursue any industry rotations but some of my classmates are at Gilead. It think they spend time doing literature searches and making presentations.

I wouldn't mind doing a residency prior to a fellowship but then it would take 3 yrs instead of 2. So I am hoping I get a fellowship that lets me allocate my time to doing clinical work at the hospital/clinic as well. I feel more inclined towards an academic fellowship because I've seen some that lets me do this.

I'd love to hear more people's inputs on the academic/industry theme!