Post grad career choice for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John6301

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the spot this forum should go, but there is definitely some relevance.

This semester I finish my last semester as an undergrad and now planning to retake my MCAT and apply this upcoming cycle.

Unfortunately, as any recent graduate, I am broke and jobless! It's been only two weeks since I finished but I've been interviewing for 3 different positions simultaneously.

Job A)
Scribe job. 3 days on, 4 days off. 12 hour shifts $15/hr pay. 15 min drive from home. Can be hired within the next two weeks.

Job B)
Microbiologist job. Full time. $20+/hr. 5 minutes from home. Can be hired within the next two weeks.

Job C)
Surgical technologist (aka Surgical Scrub). Full time. $20/hr. 15 minutes from home. HIRING PROCESS TAKES 45 days due to assessments/training.

I honestly still have the scribe job as a backup because I know the benefits I can obtain from this position including having 4 days off where I can sit down and study for the MCAT. Pro: schedule con: lowest paid

I want the microbiologist because I know I will start soon and it has the best pay. I also don't have much lab experience when compared to medical experience.

I know I will gain alot from the surgical technologist position! Being exposed to surgeries daily and getting that experience is something that couldn't be put into words but waiting 45 days to get the job while broke is questioning me what path to take. (I'll have trainings here and there but it will not be the same)

I applied to these jobs to strengthen my application for medical school and overall make use of my bachelors degree.

If you were faced with the same situation, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this is the spot this forum should go, but there is definitely some relevance.

This semester I finish my last semester as an undergrad and now planning to retake my MCAT and apply this upcoming cycle.

Unfortunately, as any recent graduate, I am broke and jobless! It's been only two weeks since I finished but I've been interviewing for 3 different positions simultaneously.

Job A)
Scribe job. 3 days on, 4 days off. 12 hour shifts $15/hr pay. 15 min drive from home. Can be hired within the next two weeks.

Job B)
Microbiologist job. Full time. $20+/hr. 5 minutes from home. Can be hired within the next two weeks.

Job C)
Surgical technologist (aka Surgical Scrub). Full time. $20/hr. 15 minutes from home. HIRING PROCESS TAKES 45 days due to assessments/training.

I honestly still have the scribe job as a backup because I know the benefits I can obtain from this position including having 4 days off where I can sit down and study for the MCAT. Pro: schedule con: lowest paid

I want the microbiologist because I know I will start soon and it has the best pay. I also don't have much lab experience when compared to medical experience.

I know I will gain alot from the surgical technologist position! Being exposed to surgeries daily and getting that experience is something that couldn't be put into words but waiting 45 days to get the job while broke is questioning me what path to take. (I'll have trainings here and there but it will not be the same)

I applied to these jobs to strengthen my application for medical school and overall make use of my bachelors degree.

If you were faced with the same situation, what would you do?
If you were my kid, I'd say go for the surgical tech job. Biggest bang for the buck

Members don't see this ad :)
I would keep job A. Your main priority right now should be the MCAT and scribing affords you the best opportunity to make money, study, and earn healthcare experience.

After your MCAT, apply for the surgical tech job while still continuing to scribe and jump ships when you get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Do NOT take the surgical tech job. As a surgeon, I can tell you there's nothing more annoying than an inexperienced tech who slows things down and compromises patient safety. You will be useless for at least a year, at which point you're liable to leave for med school anyway.