10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Hello respected forum members,

I am an international med graduate from India, currently a permanent resident of Canada. I am currently taking the USMLE to apply for residency in the US.

But i have heard that postgraduation from new zealand is a good option if someone wants to enter the system in canada.Could someone please throw some light on this?any information on this will be highly regarded..
I would like to know the name of the universities in new zealand which offers the postgraduate degree?is it the same residency match process like the US??will my USMLE scores be good for NZ too??how difficult is it being a foreigner to enter the post grad scene in NZ?



10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2005
Sydney, NSW Australia
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am unsure of the technicalities of training in NZ, but here is my understanding on GP training in Aus as an int'l medical graduate (hoping someone who knows for sure can correct me).

Unless you're already qualified in a specialty in another country, you must apply to work in Aus as an intern. You must pass the Aus Medical Council exams before being allowed to work as an intern in the public hospital system.

You can apply for GP training after internship (I think you can apply during your intern year to begin GP training the following year). The duration of GP training is 3 years which includes hospital rotations as well as GP rotations.

However I get the impression that GP training isn't always easy to get into, as GP is a popular career path for local graduates (something like 50% of medical graduates become GPs). So if you don't get a training spot, you can try again the year after, and work as a resident in the meantime (a 'resident' in Australia is not a trainee specialist, but someone who is doing rotations in various specialties after internship, for the purpose of gaining more experience or waiting to re-apply for the training of one's choice).

Once you've finished the 3 year GP training and passed the exams, you're qualified to work as a GP in Australia.

I guess you could then try to make your Aus qualification recognised in Canada, but I know little about how easy this is.

One other thing to point out is that unlike the US (not sure about Canada) where you undertake postgraduate training in a particular hospital or university, postgraduate training in Australia and NZ is done through the relevant college.

For example, the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners

or the Royal NZ College of GPs

If you browse the above website you will find useful answers to your questions.


Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2003
Status (Visible)
Australian/NZ GP training is recognised in all the provinces in Canada, however there are a few that have a lot less redtape to get into then others.

For example Ontario requires you to be a member of the CFPC, which in turn requires 5 years of GP experience (2 which must be in Canada) to gain membership. Newfoundland and Saskatchewan on the other hand do not require this for full membership. They do require you to write the EE, QE1 and QE2 eventually, but most provinces give you a reasonable amount of time to do so.

In short - if you can get into Australia/NZ to do GP training, it's definitely a back door to return to Canada, but you might not be able to return directly to the province of your choice.
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.