Post Grad Low GPA, no MCAT yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N2Medicine12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for reading! I am concerned I do not have the qualifications to get into medical school at this point. I have considered other avenues such as nursing/NP/PA, but it isn't what I am ideally looking for.

I graduated in Dec 2011 with a BS in Biology with cGPA 3.45. I have not taken the MCAT yet, as I don't want to invest the time, money, and energy into it, if it will not help my application.

I do not have research experience, as I have worked full-time since high school while taking 15-18 credit hours a semester.

I have work experience in OB, pediatrics, ED, and endocrinology. I have shadowed trauma surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, general surgeons, and plastic surgeons.

With a low GPA and no research experience, do I have a chance at medical school if I get a high score on the MCAT? Or should I pursue options such as grad school?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

For MD schools, depending upon your state of residence (say, KS or LA) you might have luck with your state school. (CA, NY... not very likely).

GPA is below avg and so best luck will only be with low-tier schools. What is your sGPA?

Your GPA is fine for any DO program, including mine.

However, without the necessary ECs, you won't have much of a chance at either MD or DO.

Hey, thanks for reading! I am concerned I do not have the qualifications to get into medical school at this point. I have considered other avenues such as nursing/NP/PA, but it isn't what I am ideally looking for.

I graduated in Dec 2011 with a BS in Biology with cGPA 3.45. I have not taken the MCAT yet, as I don't want to invest the time, money, and energy into it, if it will not help my application.

I do not have research experience, as I have worked full-time since high school while taking 15-18 credit hours a semester.

I have work experience in OB, pediatrics, ED, and endocrinology. I have shadowed trauma surgeons, orthopedic surgeons, general surgeons, and plastic surgeons.

With a low GPA and no research experience, do I have a chance at medical school if I get a high score on the MCAT? Or should I pursue options such as grad school?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!!