Post grad programs looking down on certain schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drabuisa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a dental student and I keep in contact with several students from other various dental schools across the country. Recently, I made up my mind that I want to do a GPR after I graduate, but I have been hearing some pretty scary stuff with regards to the way certain dental schools are viewed by some of the post grad programs.

I hear from my friends that many programs have brought up the fact that students from certain schools across the country have not performed well in the past, so they are reluctant to accept graduates from those schools. (this includes the students with high grades and board scores)

For the individuals that could be facing this problem, what steps can they take while in school to assure that they are competent upon graduation in spite of possibly not receiving the best instruction while in school?

Also, if anyone has heard of this type if situation, what aspect of dentistry are these GPR residents lacking in?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Actually, not all programs do that. However, there have been concerns like this though, mainly coming from those schools who have a low passing rate on certain programs

If you're a residency director and you choose to match someone who turns out to be a complet knucklehead clinically you may be a little more cautious when interviewing someone else from that person's alma mater. However, the opposite can also be true and is entirely subjective -- and different from program to program.