MD & DO Post-grade redemption school choices help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thundathighs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could possibly get some help with school choices for this application cycle.

I will be a reapplicant this time around and though I'm not an URM, I am an economically disadvantaged student. My undergrad stats were far from stellar, but it couldn't be helped because I was the bread winner for my family working more than full time throughout undergrad. After I got my BA, I began taking my prereqs at community college (bio,physics, ochem), but got 1 B in physics and 2 Cs in the ochem series (I was still working >70 hours a week during this time). I took the MCAT and got a 23.

However during this past year, my parents were able to get some financial relief and I was able to attend a postbac for disadvantaged students. Through support from the program, I improved my MCAT and did exceptionally well.

undergrad cGPA: 3.24, sGPA 3.02
postgrad community college grades: sGPA 3.08

Formal postbac GPA: 4.0 (36 units, all upper div science)
Overall GPA (per AACOMAS): cGPA 3.35, sGPA 3.34
MCAT 1: 23 (ps 6, vr 10, bs 7)
MCAT 2: 33 (ps 10, vr 12, bs 11)

I think despite my improvements, my shot at an MD school are really quite low so I haven't looked into MD schools as much as I have DO schools. I'd appreciate some help with my school list!

MD:
Drexel
Temple
UC Davis
UC Riverside
Hofstra
Howard
Morehouse
Rosalind Franklin

DO:
AZCOM
CCOM
COMP+COMP NW
DCOM
UNECOM
TUCOM
TUN
PNWU
VCOM
LECOM
NSU

Are there any schools that I should consider just taking off my list entirely?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the UCs are out of your reach, even with your enormous MCAT improvement and your postbac performance. Your GPA is still far below the averages for a majority of the MD schools. I think you're fine for DO.

I think the UCs are out of your reach, even with your enormous MCAT improvement and your postbac performance. Your GPA is still far below the averages for a majority of the MD schools. I think you're fine for DO.

Should I just forget about applying to any of the MD schools at all then and just focus my efforts on DO programs? I'm a CA resident and ideally, I'd like to stay on the west coast if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you I would just shoot for the DO schools and forget the MDs, but you sound like you qualify for the amcas fee waiver so why not? Some of the other members might be able to advise you better than I can.

Yes, I do qualify for a fee waiver so if it's like previous years, I'll be able to get 15 MD schools free and I believe up to 3 DO schools.

If someone could help me come up with a better school list for MD programs I'd appreciate that!