1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Post-graduation job choice: Consulting the Oracle at SDN

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by amakhosidlo, Dec 20, 2008.

1. amakhosidlo

amakhosidlo Accepted
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here's the situation:

Right now I intern for the county in a medically-related field, basically serving as a medical scribe for pathologists. It's a pretty boring job (I really just type all day and look up anatomical structures) but it pays the bills. I was sort of counting on my boss to hook me up with a job at public health when I graduated, until a state-wide hiring freeze was announced. Long story short, it's pretty safe to say I won't have a job waiting for me when I get out of school.

With this in mind I found an opening at an outdoor equipment manufacturer that'd be pretty sweet, but isn't at all medically related. If I took the job, I'd obviously have to ditch the medical scribe internship, which I've only been doing for the past 8 months.

Needless to say, any post-graduation job would be a bit of a windfall, as beggers really can't
    be choosers in this ecconomic environment.

What I'm worried about though is the potential impact on my application of leaving a medically
    related experience for a random private sector job when my prior work experience has shown a
    stepwise gravitation towards medicine (i.e"oh well he's pursuing his true passion, which
    obviously isn't medicine" application -->trash)
    Thoughts? Does taking advantage of an opportunity like this demonstrate a certain degree of
    capreciousness? (Not generally, but in the context of a history of medically related endeavors and a professed interest in medicine)
    Might adcoms consider/understand the ecconomy's impact on the employment
    prospects/decisions of fresh college grads who may not be able to land a job in the health sciences?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armybound

armybound urologist.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Even pre-meds have to pay bills. I don't think anyone will give you crap when you explain that you found the outdoor equipment manufacturing job interesting (OMG a pre-med has interests outside of medicine?!??!!) and it was an available position for pay, which you needed to pay bills.

I think you need to go with the new job and try to find time to keep volunteering with the old job if you can.

4. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . .
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This, I worked in a very unrelated industry for the year that I was applying because it paid well and was close to home.

When I was asked about why I did so, I said that I needed to pay the bills. No one faulted me for that and I think it was a very respectable answer.

Do what you need to do to survive and volunteer when you have time.