Post Graduation / Working question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Night1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello - so i am looking to get my masters in marriage and family therapy.. just wondering what i have to do after i graduate. do i need to get hours to obtain licensure. and if i have to get the hours, is that usually unpaid internships.. if not unpaid internship what options are.

just confused with the entire process. my goal is to open my own practice.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is a state dependent question. This is the MFT association: http://www.aamft.org/ perhaps you can find your answers there.

thanks for the link! had a look at it and unfort still not seeing the necessary steps. can anyone please let me know how the process is on a general basis or how it is for their state just so i can get an idea?! thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The masters level mental health licenses I've looked at in my state require 3500 to 4000 supervision hours post grad prior to licensure. These can be paid jobs positions. It will depend on your market whether you can find a paid position. I've read on these boards where some people have had to pay for supervision.