Post here if you want your mdapps commented on....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would love some suggestions on activities and additional schools to apply to!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

So Im a non-trad student (I guess) from Canada and I just submitted my AMCAS primary last week...Just getting started on secondaries but I am really unsure as to if I'm competitive or not? Here are my crudentials:

3.35 overall undergrad GPA (about 3.5 in last 2 years) in Biopharmaceutical Sciences at Univ. of Ottawa. It was a really intense program consisting mostly of organic chemistry related courses with pharmaceutical applications as well as a Lot of biochemistry and pharmacology. Do schools in the states take into account the undergrad programs are when looking at gpa?

Currently 1 year into a masters in Medical Biophysics at Univ. of Western Ontario (One of the top medical imaging sites in north america). My research is very clinical and I work directly with patients (respiratory diseases using new MRI technique)
- 3.95 grad gpa in 5 courses
- Will be submitting 2-3 first author publications in the next few months
- 6 poster presentations in radiology/respirology/medical imaging conferences
- currently shortlisted for RSNA student trainee award 2009

Took MCAT 2 summers ago and got 28 (12 6 10)...wrote it 2 weeks ago and I should get between a 30 and 35.

Tons of extracurricular (cultural dance competitions, started up my own dance and entertainment group, played provincial level under19 cricket, involved in lots of cultural organizations etc). Also worked as a medical assistant in a clinic for a year. If anything I lack volunteering.

I worry because I cant apply to half the schools in canada because im below GPA cutoffs...I know the states dont have cutoffs but I feel 3.35 is a bit low.
Kinda long post I know haha...I would appreciate any feedback.
user_offline.gif

Comments appreciated (honesty is good, but constructive please!).

Worried about secondaries, have been sitting on a lot for over three weeks...!

(link to MDApps is in profile description to left, so Im not pasting here...)

Last edited:
Just looking for some inspiration... haven't heard a word from 6 schools, though 3 of those have handed out rejections to some (I guess that's "good" news?)
thanks!