1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Post hernia surgery conleave guide?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by gman1, Nov 30, 2005.

1. gman1

gman1 New Member

Hello, topic may be a mouthful, I know

I hope someone could help me finding out about post surgery convalescent leave. My friend who is in the navy, stationed in the US had a double hernia surgery and got 30 days of conleave with no LLD time from his base medical.

I recently came upon an article about some new tension-free hernia repair plus recovery expectancy being shorter what it used to be which will save work days. It stated the current Navy recommended 14 conleave period with return to full duty after 30 days post surgery.

I would like to find out about these 'recommendations' -is there is a 'guide' or written leave periods for surgery ie. hernia in the Navy? If someone could point me out to a link or resources that I could read up on that I'd appreciate it.

It seems to me that the US NAVY is not your local sweatshop and should have some rules for allowing it's members proper recovery time and medical care

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. backrow

backrow 60% of the time it works everytime
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not quite understanding.... are you implying that 30 days of CONLEAVE is not a proper recovery time?

I think 30 days of conleave, which means he is basically on leave to sit at home and do what he wants, is way more than enough for a hernia repair, especially considering if it were a bilateral repair it was most likely laproscopic.

4. FliteSurgn

FliteSurgn This space for rent.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most of these decisions are managed individually based on the type of surgery performed, the surgeon's routine, and how well the patient does post-operatively. I usually give a week of con leave and everyone should be back to full duty within 4 weeks. As long as the hernia repair is done in a tension-free manner (open or laparoscopically), there is no need for a prolonged period of convalesence.

5. gman1

gman1 New Member

Thank you FliteSurgn, I remember that he still had stitches on a week after and couldnt cough, get up quickly or do anything that increases abdominal pressure but maybe it wasnt that tension free technique. I know he had a mesh put in and the doc said it would take about 30 days for the abdominal wall and tissue to work itself around the mesh and within 3 months the mesh becomes part of the abdominal wall.

backrow, you misread my question, 30 days seems about right, the man couldnt laugh too hard or cough 2 weeks after surgery cause it felt like he was getting stabbed in the stomach. So recovery times should allow for discomfort to subside

I would like to know if there's written instruction from the Naval medical department or whoever decides these things for recovery times after surgery.
    Whether it's an appendix or hernia, what is the time given for conleave and LLD.

For example there detailed procedures on med boards and so forth. Is there instruction for post surgery recovery in the Navy? I mean can one doctor give 7 days of conleave and another 14? Shouldnt there be rules or something for that.

6. aatrek

aatrek Member
    5+ Year Member

Well,
    with all do respect, you are getting this all wrong.
    first, no such thing as putting mesh in and not doing a tension free repair unless you put mesh under tension, and if you doing that, you should not being doing this surgery at all.
    Thus your friend had tension free mesh repair.
    so the question is how long of con leave do they need..
    well, forget about the military and look at the civilain studies, the this papers with tens of thousands of collective data (like the lichtenstein data) that shows that patients can go back to work in 2-3 days.. Lchtestein sends them WITHOUT restrictions, basically tells them, if it hurst stop.. that is all.. and he has recurrance rates of less than 1%...
    there are other data that shows this also.
    however, the common among surgeons (as flitesurgeon said) is about 1-2 weeks off adn then go back with limited duty for a total of 4 weeks.

regardsless how mush your friend hurts with laughing and or coughing.. 4 weeks of conleave is crazy... unless this was some wierd complicated case.. but it even then.. I don't give 4 weeks of conleave to major abdominal resections..

I had hernia surgery myself, twice (one in either side, different years) and the first I was back to work in 2 days, and the other worked the second day after surgery.. Now..bilat surgery hursts more (esp if done open, acually hurts less if done laproscopic).. but still no way is 4 weeks needed.
    I give my pts 2 wks, just becaue I know all the gunny sgts out there do now understand the consept of limited duty. but when I do teachers/civilians, I let them go back to work in 1 wk, and the vast majority do.

hope this helps
    a

7. usnavdoc

usnavdoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the basis of your question is: are there any set rules by the Navy with regards to conleave recommendations. The answer is no. It is up to the physician as to how much is recommended. The key word in all of this is recommended. This is a medical recommendation to the CO of the individual. Ultimately it is the COs privilege as to how much or if at all the Patient will receive con leave. I’ve seen many cases where it was cut in half or outright denied and the member was kept in the barracks for positive control.

8. gman1

gman1 New Member

wow artek, was there any swelling? pain? do you workout, if so how long after did u get back in the gym?

I saw him few days after the surgery and when he slowly got up to walk somewhere it felt like he was going to '**** out his guts', and for a week he had dressing with stitches on. Hard to imagine going to any type of work in that condition. His was inguinal hernia just above his junk.

So 4 weeks is about right? and the base co decides on conleave. whether a person gets 2conleave and 2weeks LLD perhaps had to do with if they need broke dicks on LLD for bitch work.

I'm just surprised how much pain he was in after the surgery. I found a website for British Hernia Institute and they do that tension free/pain free way and have people walking out of their clinic later that day or day after the procedure. A testimonial from some bodybuilder has him saying he was back in the gym 2 days after the surgery.

But, my friend's doctor told him no lifting for a month, then after 3 months total the mesh will become a part of the ab wall.