Post II grade updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdapplicant1029

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm post II for a couple of schools- got placed on HPWL for some and am still waiting to hear back from others. I've been pretty consistent with sending post interview updates, and in fact I just sent one last week to all the schools I have already interviewed at. Due to some hierarchical complications, I only just received my fall 2020 grades this week. I took 5 classes (14 credits) that all went towards my non-science major and I got an A in all of them. But, all that this did was push my cGPA from a 3.84-3.85. Is it worth it to send these new grades to schools just to show my straight As for this semester, or would it be a waste of their time? Is it too early to send another update, especially if it's so unsubstantial?

Members don't see this ad.

If you already sent multiple updates, I would not send it. Your GPA is already high and your new grades don't add anything too meaningful. They already know you're academically smart.

And what do you mean by "pretty consistent with sending post-interview updates." I hope you aren't sending an update every week haha

Edit: I only send updates when there is something significant/new to add. But others' opinions may differ

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Oh trust me I do hate the game. But to play the game, you may not want to send updates too frequently. It can make you look bad/needy according to some adcoms on here. Some interviewers and deans also echoed the same sentiment when asked about it during some of my interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
If you already sent post II updates I would not send a simple grade update now. However, if when you do, ignore the overall GPA and just mention that this with all the disruptions of the past year, you only recently received fall grades and are proud to say that earned As in all 5 classes
So it's ok to send grades, even if they are not significantly different than your other grades (and in the OP's case - all non-science)?

If you already sent multiple updates, I would not send it. Your GPA is already high and your new grades don't add anything too meaningful. They already know you're academically smart.

And what do you mean by "pretty consistent with sending post-interview updates." I hope you aren't sending an update every week haha

Edit: I only send updates when there is something significant/new to add. But others' opinions may differ
Thanks for the info! LOL I haven't been sending updates that frequently. Just every once in a while when I have something substantial like a new job, volunteer activity, or publication.

If you already sent post II updates I would not send a simple grade update now. However, if when you do, ignore the overall GPA and just mention that this with all the disruptions of the past year, you only recently received fall grades and are proud to say that earned As in all 5 classes

Great, will not send then. Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the info! LOL I haven't been sending updates that frequently. Just every once in a while when I have something substantial like a new job, volunteer activity, or publication.
If you'd like, you can send an LOI in May (during waitlist movement) that includes your new grades! So basically a letter of interest and update.

How many did you send if you don't mind sharing?

You could include both your fall and spring semester grades then

You could then simple say for the two terms I earned a 3.9 over xx credits

The thing is that fall 2020 was actually my last semester so I won't have any grades for Spring semester... Would you still suggest sending the fall grades in May with a letter of intent/interest?

The thing is that fall 2020 was actually my last semester so I won't have any grades for Spring semester... Would you still suggest sending the fall grades in May with a letter of intent/interest?
Yes, sending in good fall 2020 grades with an LOI is better than sending LOI alone. Just make the part about your grades short (1-2 sentences). Schools otherwise wouldn't get your fall 2020 grades at all (until after you're accepted).

Yes, sending in good fall 2020 grades with an LOI is better than sending LOI alone. Just make the part about your grades short (1-2 sentences). Schools otherwise wouldn't get your fall 2020 grades at all (until after you're accepted).
Could you clarify what LOI you are talking about - letter of interest? letter of intent?

Could you clarify what LOI you are talking about - letter of interest? letter of intent?
I used LOI to indicate either one. Applicants on waitlists often send one letter of intent and multiple letters of interest in May. Since people advised OP to not send fall grades right now (due to recent update), I suggested including them in future LOIs instead

How many did you send if you don't mind sharing?
Sure, it really depends on the school. For schools that I've heard to be really receptive to updates, I've sent 3 at this point. For schools that don't specifically LOVE updates/letters of interest but do still accept them, I've sent 1-2. Anyone know if that's okay? What's the standard? When do schools start to get annoyed at the updates/ think you're desperate?

Sure, it really depends on the school. For schools that I've heard to be really receptive to updates, I've sent 3 at this point. For schools that don't specifically LOVE updates/letters of interest but do still accept them, I've sent 1-2. Anyone know if that's okay? What's the standard? When do schools start to get annoyed at the updates/ think you're desperate?
To me 3 sounds too many but I am not an adcom.