Post interview contact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anomalii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the posts and it sounds like lots of people are getting letters back from programs after the interview. I've interviewed at lots of places and the interviews seem to have gone well, but I only heard back from one program where they specified they felt I'd be a good match and claimed they will rank me highly. My questions are:
1) How commonly do people get such letters and if I should be concerned that I only got one?
2) What proportion of the sites you intend to rank do you plan on writing thank you notes to? (I plan on making a longer rank list to minimize my chances of scrambling but I'm afraid of being too "promiscuous" should word get around of all the thank you's I'll be sending out, although I assure they will all be personalized)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading the posts and it sounds like lots of people are getting letters back from programs after the interview. I've interviewed at lots of places and the interviews seem to have gone well, but I only heard back from one program where they specified they felt I'd be a good match and claimed they will rank me highly. My questions are:
1) How commonly do people get such letters and if I should be concerned that I only got one?
2) What proportion of the sites you intend to rank do you plan on writing thank you notes to? (I plan on making a longer rank list to minimize my chances of scrambling but I'm afraid of being too "promiscuous" should word get around of all the thank you's I'll be sending out, although I assure they will all be personalized)

I have written thank you notes to each and every program I interviewed at (even the ones I don't plan on ranking). There is nothing "promiscuous" about a thank you note - it is common courtesy and considered proper "etiquette" (I am a good southern boy though...).

I guarantee you programs are not chattering with one another about who is/isn't sending thank you notes.

1) It depends on the program. You should not believe post-interview correspondence from programs. Rank the programs in the order you want to go to them. That's how the match is designed.
2) You can write to the # 1 ranked program or top 3... it depends on specialty. Ask an adviser or your program director in your specialty at your school for specifics.

Making a longer ROL is a good idea. Just make sure the programs that you rank would be programs that you want to be in a binding contract for you to go there.

You can send generalized thank-you notes and not be considered promiscuous. Just don't tell everyone that they are ranked first.