post-interview message

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brussellnhes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can i get your guys' opinion. i recently interviewed at a school, but didn't feel the interview went well because i was incredibly nervous. i answered all the questions, but it wasn't done very well or eloquently. i fear my performance wasn't good enough and left doubts in their mind... and worse, detracted from my other good qualities.

is it wise to send a post-interview email to the school explaining my situation: that i felt more nervous than normal, that i've had experience working in high-stress situations and am capable of thinking "on my feet" and that i didn't feel it adequately measured my critical thinking skills? i have made many tough decisions in high pressure situations and i just want to explain that my nervousness isn't a reflection of my true capacity.

any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone is nervous at an interview, including the interviewers. those assessing your responses understand that and are more likely to remark upon it if you were unwaveringly serene throughout. You are not unique. I doubt that a post-interview email will accomplish anything except to highlight the problem.

Ask yourself why you were so nervous if you are already accustomed to high-stress situations. What can you do so that future interviews are more satisfactory in that regard? Maybe get in some mock interviews to practice.

Everyone is nervous at an interview, including the interviewers. Interviewers understand that and are more likely to remark upon it if you were unwaveringly serene throughout. You are not unique. I doubt that a post-interview email will accomplish anything except to highlight the problem.

Ask yourself why you were so nervous if you are already accustomed to high-stress situations. What can you do so that future interviews are more satisfactory in that regard? Maybe get in some mock interviews to practice.

unfortunately, i was rejected from this school the first time because i was too nervous. that was the only reason. i couldn't answer the questions thoroughly. that's why i'm particularly concerned.

i have joined toastmasters and done many many many things to develop public speaking skills... since it was the reason i got rejected, i tried my best to prepare.

BUT, it seems the interview added an unconscious anxiety unlike other high-stress situations because i do not experience the same effects in other public speaking settings. i don't know how to control for that because i have had mock interviews and such to prepare. the fact that it is "the real thing" just brings all my old problems back.

would you recommend sending a note explaining this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't bring it up. I can't imagine how you would address this in a positive way. You're basically telling them their interview process is screwed up.
Also was this a panel interview? You keep bringing up public speaking.

Don't bring it up. I can't imagine how you would address this in a positive way. You're basically telling them their interview process is screwed up.
Also was this a panel interview? You keep bringing up public speaking.

yah it was a panel interview. but it was obviously a big problem because during the interview, they told me to take a deep breath and asked me how i would evaluate my performance compared to last year (i.e. evaluate my nervousness)... those are big signs. i don't know how to interpret them but i feel it isn't working in my favor.

the note i wrote explains that i've worked hard to address this problem, i've built confidence, but unfortunately it didn't show during my interview, and that i normally can work well under pressure, have good communication skills, etc.

do you still advise that i not send it?

not much you can do because a note won't solve the problem.

No one is going to read your note and say, "wow, ok. Lets alter the interviewer's responses now."

i guess i'm just wondering if there is anything i can do at this point? i just wanted to do anything and everything i can to help my chances. i don't feel i deserve to be rejected just because i was nervous during the interview :(

i guess i'm just wondering if there is anything i can do at this point? i just wanted to do anything and everything i can to help my chances. i don't feel i deserve to be rejected just because i was nervous during the interview :(

Could she ask for another interview? I agree that she shouldn't get dinged for this. (On the other hand, it has now happened 2 years in a row at the same school.)

Could she ask for another interview? I agree that she shouldn't get dinged for this. (On the other hand, it has now happened 2 years in a row at the same school.)

Why not?

Sorry OP. I don't want to come across as a jerk. However, you haven't proven to them that you can handle high pressure situations and that you can "think on your feet." Just saying that you can means nothing, you have to prove it. Or else, they have no idea if you can or not.

Interviews are stressful. Almost everyone says they don't think they were able to get across all the good qualities they wanted to (I can say this from my own personal experience). I think most people are too hard on themselves. Don't freak out before you hear anything; you may have done better than you thought. If you do hear bad news, it's back to improving your interview skills.

Definitely do not send the letter. It won't help, and it may just highlight the negatives of your interview.

Last edited: