Post Interview Thank You Card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys are not sending thank you cards to your interviewrs. Many people on this forum and other internet sites strongly advice not to forget sending a thank you card. However, nobody from my undergraduate school ever sends them to their interviewers at our state schools. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

i have for all of my interviews where i was able to easily look up their addresses in their school's directory. if not, i haven't worried about it.

honestly, it makes no difference in the outcome of your application. just do it if you really liked the person and want to say thank you. most people i know don't do them.

my 2 cents...

I think it's just a nice and polite thing to do. Plus, it can't possibly hurt you. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't do it for closed-file interviews, since all ties between the interviewer and the interviewee are supposed to be severed after the letter to the committee is written. At least, that was what I was told by one school.

Denn said:
How many of you guys are not sending thank you cards to your interviewrs. Many people on this forum and other internet sites strongly advice to not forget sending a thank you card. However, nobody from my undergraduate school ever sends them to their interviewers at our state schools. What do you all think?

my experience was exactly the opposite. i got a thank-you card from my interviewer, but didn't send them a thank-you (lets just say they weren't exactly the nicest interviewer, nor my favorite person). but, i still got in so all is well.

Personally..it seems to me a bit like a** kissing, well actually a lot like it, but again, that's just my personal opinion. But if you know that it won't influence the adcomm's decision and you really want to just send it because of how nice your interviewer was then your intentions are good and go for it. Either way I hardly think it will make or break you when the adcomms have so many other criterias on which to base your acceptance or rejection.
:)

I believe it is correct to always send thank you notes for interviews both for med school and residency.

a lot of ppl who are interviewers VOLUNTEER their time. in fact, most adcoms are made up of volunteers. it's just the right thing to do. it's not ass-kissing; it's professional etiquette.

If you meant to send a thankyou, but forgot, when is too late? I interviewed on 11-12, but then had a certification exam and thanksgiving, and just plain old forgot.

akpete said:
If you meant to send a thankyou, but forgot, when is too late? I interviewed on 11-12, but then had a certification exam and thanksgiving, and just plain old forgot.

if you sincerely want to thank your interviewer, go ahead and send a thank you. its better late than never. but if you were just asskissing............well, you know the answer to that. :D

wxl31 said:
a lot of ppl who are interviewers VOLUNTEER their time. in fact, most adcoms are made up of volunteers. it's just the right thing to do. it's not ass-kissing; it's professional etiquette.

I agree - I also think the thank you card is a good place to remind your interviewer of who you were and to reaffirm why you're interested in the school. It's a nice way to tie up the whole package!

what about thank you e-mails...I sent a brief couple to my interviewers.

i sent thank you letters...my mommy told me to... :D
i do think it is the polite thing to do...as for e-mails, i sent one to one of the faculty at one of my interviews that gave a really deep, inspirational talk to the interviewees who had defenitely taken the time out from whatever he was doing to talk to us. to the interviewers, a little thank you card letting them know i was grateful for the opportunity to meet with them and for their consideration...let me in and peace out!

i've only sent one thank you card so far out of all the schools I've been to. and it was to the one interviewer who offered me his card and then went to the trouble of writing his university address on the back (his private practice office address was printed on the front). i considered that to be a strong sign that i should send something.

though, what the Dean of Boston U said a few weeks ago really stuck in my mind. at the end of our day there, he told us not to run home and dig out our museum-of-fine-arts blank cards to send to the school unless we really had something meaningful to say.

I don't think the card will make or break you either way. I doubt the interviewers keep an excel sheet to track who they received cards from and who they didn't. Besides, can you imagine receiving 20 cards from people you interviewed? What would you do with them? I doubt they hang them on the wall of their office like Christmas decorations.

this whole process gives me a sort of desperado feeling. anyone else?

I don't know...I think it's a nice polite thing to do. Plus, it keeps your name floating around in their heads.

i don't think the thank you card should be viewed as a getting into med school tactic. personally, i think the interviewers glance at them and toss them out. that's what i'd do if i were an interviewer. BUT they should be sent nonetheless b/c it's professional etiquette. this is good practice for later residency interviews and job interviews.

by the way, when i was at my uc davis interview, my student interviewer TOLD ME to send a thank you note to my faculty interviewer. she said that ppl recognize the cards there and it was important.

wxl31 said:
i don't think the thank you card should be viewed as a getting into med school tactic. personally, i think the interviewers glance at them and toss them out. that's what i'd do if i were an interviewer. BUT they should be sent nonetheless b/c it's professional etiquette. this is good practice for later residency interviews and job interviews.

by the way, when i was at my uc davis interview, my student interviewer TOLD ME to send a thank you note to my faculty interviewer. she said that ppl recognize the cards there and it was important.

I've heard it's big at Columbia too...send those thank you cards, people!