Post Interview Waiting Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dd128

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've had a few interviews and a whole lot of nothing so far. Anyone else know any great ways to deal with the agonizing emptiness generated by schools avoiding us after an interview! There is an interview hiatus thread that seems to be somewhat lucky, so maybe a lucky post interview thread will generate some acceptances! :luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad.

post interview waiting is a bit different from all the other kinds of waiting because you have some sense of the decision points. not totally unkown nothingness.

but it is still more waiting!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
post interview waiting is a bit different from all the other kinds of waiting because you have some sense of the decision points. not totally unkown nothingness.

It's kind of almost the worst type, because you're so close. With all the other waiting it's just stuff that leads to the next step. After the interview it's the last step, you get your hopes up because you know at any moment your acceptance or rejection may be coming...or possibly waitlist (but don't want to think about that right now).

post interview waiting is a bit different from all the other kinds of waiting because you have some sense of the decision points. not totally unknown nothingness.

I agree, but that still doesn't help it much. :scared: There's something so odd about the decision being completely out of your hands. There's nothing I can really do to influence the decision. At least when I was waiting for interviews I could be reading and prepping. That at least made me feel proactive. Now all I can do is twiddle my thumbs and call every now and then. *sigh*

I find that it's much easier to wait (and maintain some sanity) when you know when you should be receiving the decision. Non-rolling isn't great, but at least you can try to forget about the decision until March. For the one school I'm waiting on (Mayo), I only interviewed two weeks ago, but I feel like their process creates constant anticipation. First, you have to wait to be reviewed at an adcom meeting to receive a ranking (notice sent via email at 1:30am). Then, at the next adcom meeting that they decide to give out acceptances (they apparently don't do so at every meeting - some are just for rankings), you'll either receive an acceptance (via phone, email & letter) or a hold (via 1:30am email). These meetings can take place at any time, and even if you're on hold you could receive an acceptance at any meeting. Then, on March 15th, they fill the class, send out some rejections, and put the rest on a waitlist. And then the typical waitlist mania begins.

I understand why they do what they do (it's such a small class), but it does make me wish they just told us at the interview, "You should be receiving a decision around _____." But of course, I'll deal. I'm happy that someone just posted today in the Mayo thread that the next adcom meeting will be in mid-January. It gives a brief respite from antici......

pation.

What sense of decision point is that? The fact that IU says they send out notifications on the 15th of each month... and that I'll hear from them between October and May (or was it April -- don't remember). It is pretty much unknown nothingness and it's one hell of a ****ty system. The organization and planning is extremely poor and if I am not accepted, perhaps I should plan better systems and then try to implement and sell them to med school admissions committees.

I can't find anything to be happy about regarding this process. They always say, "no news is good news". I've had no news since September 5th (my interview) and I'm searching for what part of it is good.

just sleep, time goes much faster that way lol.

Now that I know that I don't have an acceptance (still pending) from Colorado, I wait patiently til the 15th of January for AECOM news, and then I wait til March. And, of course, I'll be in Europe on Jan 15th, so I'm not sure if I'll even hear then. I've been waiting since 9/19 for my earliest interview, and 11/9 for my latest.

I think the post-interview waiting is definitely the worst. I have 4 schools that I'm expecting to hear from in January, including my top 2 choices and while its the calm before the storm right now I know its going to be a hellish month to come. The worst is those out of the blue bolts of anxiety that cross your mind for no particular reason. They usually resolve with a deep breath, but its still so uncomfortable. Plus, there's that nagging though every time the mailman comes, every time the phone rings, every time you see a new message in your inbox, "Is this it? Has my future been decided?" Its really very classically Greecian, with 'the fates' and the gods on high manipulating the lives of mere mortals. Here's a thought... maybe we should start a thread to honor Athena (Olympic god of science/education) and [SIZE=-1]Asclepios (non-Olympic god of medicine).[/SIZE]

I think the post-interview waiting is definitely the worst. I have 4 schools that I'm expecting to hear from in January, including my top 2 choices and while its the calm before the storm right now I know its going to be a hellish month to come. The worst is those out of the blue bolts of anxiety that cross your mind for no particular reason. They usually resolve with a deep breath, but its still so uncomfortable. Plus, there's that nagging though every time the mailman comes, every time the phone rings, every time you see a new message in your inbox, "Is this it? Has my future been decided?" Its really very classically Greecian, with 'the fates' and the gods on high manipulating the lives of mere mortals. Here's a thought... maybe we should start a thread to honor Athena (Olympic god of science/education) and [SIZE=-1]Asclepios (non-Olympic god of medicine).[/SIZE]

I'm afraid all of this may scar me for life as I know exactly what you're talking about. More times than not it feels like a giant game that someone has to be sitting up above and laughing at us.