Post-interview waitlist and silent rejection. Trying to improve my chance

Jul 22, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello.
I got two interviews from NYIT and Rowan a few months ago, and I got waitlisted for both and got silent rejection apparently...

I have very good EC.. 2 years of research and a lot of shadowing + volunteering hours. Currently, I am working in a lab as a research scientist, making monoclonal antibodies... I could reapply this year, but the company I am working for right now requires me to work for at least 2 years... and I signed the contract because I "almost" gave up on my dream after getting silently rejected. But.. I am back... I guess I cant just give up on something I have wanted since I was a kid.

Do you think it is still necessary for me to retake MCAT if I got only 6 on the verbal but crushed science sections..? English is not my first language... and there's no way I am going to get higher than 6 on verbal no matter how hard I try.... Also, the fact that I got interviews from the schools listed above implies that MCAT was not the main problem for me... I am pretty sure that they decided not to give me acceptances because of my terrible interview skills + thick foreign accent.........

My plans till next year are to keep working in the lab to get more experience and volunteer more (I went to Haiti for 2 weeks to volunteer last month as well).. I will also try to get a LOR from the supervisor from the lab.. Also, I will probably try to practice doing interview on my own..

Do you guys think this will improve my chance when I reapply next year without retaking MCAT?

pericardium

CPR certified
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
How many schools did you apply to? Overall MCAT and gpa?

If you plan on delaying your app for 2 years your MCAT score might expire by then

OP
brood910
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
How many schools did you apply to? Overall MCAT and gpa?

If you plan on delaying your app for 2 years your MCAT score might expire by then
Already checked with the schools I want to reapply to, and my score will be fine.
My cGPA is 3.9 and sGPA is 3.8. MCAT breakdown 12/6/12.

Maruko

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Already checked with the schools I want to reapply to, and my score will be fine.
Must be bc of your interviews then...

Camacho Mt. Dew

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Those are pretty competitive stats. Do you mind sharing how many schools you applied to?

OP
brood910
Jul 22, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Those are pretty competitive stats. Do you mind sharing how many schools you applied to?
I applied to only a few DO schools because I did not have a DO letter.. I guess I will try to shadow a few more DO doctors and get letters from them..

Thank you guys!

Reactions: Camacho Mt. Dew
Dec 8, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a good shot at some good MD schools as well if you apply early and widely. But certainly you will need to retake mcat after this cycle. The CAR is a little different from VR before, maybe you can do better at it. You stats will certainly get you interviews this cycle if you already applied and did secondary. Try to get a DO letter, which is a check mark for many schools. You certainly don't want raise any additional red flag on yourself at this point.
If you feel English speaking is your problem, hire a good interview trainer is not bad idea. A few thousand dollars is worth it if it can get you into med school.