Post match scramble. How does that work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeffb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate a reply to this.
Say you did not match on match day and were to scramble. You call up many programs and talk to them. What happens after that. Do you remove the programs you have already ranked and enter the new programs? Does some programs offer contracts during scramble. How do programs decide on who to take during scramble. Any other details related to scramble would also be helpful. Just trying to find information in case I don't match during match day.

Many Thanks in advance for your reply

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I think I may have to scramble this year. Can anyone please give advice? Thanks.

M-

here is my personal experience with scramble:

the most important thing in this process is being prepared adn organized. first set up your workstation, you will need a fax machine, a free telephone line, acess to the internet, all of ur documents readily available to fax, and an extra hand around to help you. you would have to have this set up before 12 pm on postmatch day. once the list is released print it out. then begin calling, call up each program and let them know that u are such and such and would like to do ur residency at thier program, give them a brief intro and ur step one and two scores and yr of graduation, depending on ur stats they will iether tell you that they are looking for more competive scores (which is sometimes a lie, in this situation if u call again after a little while they will tell u send ur stuff in, in a way perseverence here will pay off, it may look like ur bieng annoying but it will also make u look like u really want to go there and u dont give up easily), or to fax ur docs to them, or that all their positions have been filled (which is sometimes another lie). then if they call u back on ur phone line that is left free to recive calls, they will more than likely invite u to an interview. be prepared to buy a ticket and fly to wherever u gotta go. they will interview u and 99% of the time its just a preventative measure to call u in for an interview to make sure u actually exist and dont have an extra arm growing out the side of ur head. postmatch spots fill up quickly or slowly depending on ur specialty, internal med can fill up and open up again right before july because of people with visa issues not coming through, so dont get depressed if u are not cathcing any big fish on the first few days, the most important thing is to be persistent and dont give up....good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if you are applying for PGY1 (prelim med/trans) and PGY2 (radiology) spots? If you have listed PGY2 spots and their associated prelim/transitional year spots and then rank some prelim/transitional spots just to be sure you matched into something for PGY1. Will you know during the scramble that you only matched PGY1? If so, how?

Voxel,

On the Monday before Match Day, you can log in to the NRMP site to find out (if your Dean hasn't contacted you before then) whether you matched or not. You will get one of the following 3 messages:

1) Congratulations. You matched.
2) Congratulations. You matched to a PGY-1 position.
3) You did not match.

The first message means you got your PGY-2. No matter how you setup up your rank list, this message will appear if you match your PGY-2. The second message will only appear if you ranked PGY-1 transitional or preliminary programs on your MAIN rank list and you failed to match a PGY-2. The last message is self-explanatory.

The one thing I don't know is how to find out if you need to scramble for a PGY-1 position (i.e., you matched your PGY-2 but failed to match into any of the PGY-1s on its supplemental rank list).

AV

Hi:

I didn't realize that you had to fly out to interview - thought they mostly did it by phone. It seems like it could be pretty difficult to get flights and be at a number of programs in just a few days. Where did you set up your work station? What does the dean's office do? I'm a US-FMG - so the ECFMG is my designated dean's office. Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,

M-

Originally posted by Magree:
•Hi:

I didn't realize that you had to fly out to interview - thought they mostly did it by phone. It seems like it could be pretty difficult to get flights and be at a number of programs in just a few days. Where did you set up your work station? What does the dean's office do? I'm a US-FMG - so the ECFMG is my designated dean's office. Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers,

M-•••

You are correct - most matches in the scramble ARE made over the phone. The programs want to sign people as soon as possible as well and cannot wait for applicants to arrive for interview, go through the interview process, etc. This is why applicants who have already interviewed there (but didn't match) are often preferred during the scramble.

The Dean's Office is responsible for sending out your letters of rec and Dean's letter (presuming you don't have copies of them) should you need to scramble and making calls on your behalf. Obviously, ECFMG will not be making calls on your behalf but they should allow you to upload your Dean's letters and other LORs via ERAS to programs you need to scramble to. As I recall they offer you the chance to do this free of charge for a few days post-match. Check with ECFMG exactly how this process works.

Best of luck.

If you live close enough to the open slots, usually in the northeast, you may be able to drive to the interviews as well, even if it means 1-9 hours worth of driving. If you live elsewhere, good luck. You probably will need plane tickets. Most of the interviews come for highly sought after fields. And, in case you are trying to match a competitive field, the PD has many more unmatched applicants than spots. The PD can do as he pleases, even wait. Those spots will be filled with high quality candidates anyway.