Post-match situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hypersomniac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, question is- will a program accept me post-match if I told them I matched somewhere else?
Let's say they do... what happens next?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I believe the "match" is, itself, an agreement to work. I suppose you could go elsewhere but you would be breaking a contract and I don't know how that would reflect upon you in the future. You may want to talk to the program you matched with to see what their response is.

M-

The PDs will have to work it out IF they want to...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess the key is to be honest, huh? Well, I'll let you know what happens if I get a positive response from the program I'm courting. Otherwise, I'll be heading off to my #3 choice in mid-June. I wonder if other people feel the way I do. I mean, #1 and #2- I would have accepted in a blink; but #3 and on- you get second thoughts....(and to think I ranked 7!) At any rate, I'm still prepared to make the best out of the program I matched to.
Thanks once again.

"Don't rank a program unless you are willing to go there.."

That was the advice given to me when this crazy process started. I matched at my 4th choice. I was immediately shaken. For a couple of days I even thought about trying to get out of it, then I thought about what I was doing.

The process of the match is shady. Some PDs I have run across on the interview trail are worse than some used car salesmen. But I thought about what I AGREED to by taking part in the match. I know there are ways to weasel out of the match agreement, but violating an agreement you knew the possible consequences....is just plain WRONG. Do your one year and re-evaluate. Do not start your career being an individual that can not be taken at his word. As you said ..."the key is to be honest"

Soupbone

I can't believe you guys could not even find 4 programs that you would be happy at? Maybe its because I applied to a highly competitive specialty and this altered my expectations, but I would have been happy to be at the top 8 places I ranked. I ended up at number 4 and was ecstatic. The difference between 1-4 was small enough for me that any of these would have made me happy.

"I can't believe you guys could not even find 4 programs that you would be happy at? Maybe its because I applied to a highly competitive specialty and this altered my expectations"

Then what do you think of the people who had to scramble?

I don't appreciate someone patronizing my disappointment and then qualifying it with their own perceived success.

I am currently at peace with my match. I had 7 programs on my list that I felt would be supportive, provide adequate training, and I would fit. In a moderately competitive specialty, going farther into your ROL than expected is a bad shot to the ego. I was shocked. I think it is acceptable and valid to be initially shocked <or upset> about an unexpected outcome of an event as important as the match <like you would have been "smiles and giggles" if you had not matched>. What is unacceptable is letting a little disappointment cloud your moral judgment <ie trying to get out of the NRMP agreement becuase you dont like the outcome>.

I congratulate on your match and I wish you continued success.

Cheers,
S0upb0ne

Thanks for your input Soup. You know, I think that's what I haven't gotten over- the initial shock. I loved the way you likened some PD's to used car salesmen. I'm telling you, 1 & 2 really had me going!
While my ego is still hurting, I've recalled the day I certified my list. I was at peace, and I was willing to go to any of those programs I ranked. Why can't I convince myself of the same now? But hey, I guess it's better than going somewhere I would never be willing to go to, eh? So yes, I am coming to terms with the fact that I'll have to finish the year there and see how things go- a day at a time.
Thanks all!

Soupbone,

I did not intend to belittle your disappointment at not matching at one of your top 3 choices. Of course I would have liked to have matched at one of my top 3 as well. This was not a patronizing statement. I was basically saying the same thing you are: Do not rank a place unless you would be happy there! The way you phrased your initial response, it sounded as if you would not be happy there at all. That was my point.

So good luck to you in your training, and please realize that every little thing is not intended to be an insult to you.

I agree with Soupbone regarding the need to stick to your initial "agreement" with ERAS and the programs you ranked. This is particularly true with small programs. I can't begin to tell you the burden you will place on your fellow interns if you bail and potentially leave an unfilled spot (this essentially happened to my intern class and it sucked). It typically means the precious and few elective time is lost for the other interns who now have to do extra "required" rotations with additional call to fill the rotations that you would have done. It's also really unfair to the person who would've had your spot had you not ranked the program. If you're really unhappy as the year goes by, you can look into transferring. Hopefully, however, your initial concerns will be assuaged and you'll end up genuinely happy with your match. Best of luck.

So good luck to you in your training, and please realize that every little thing is not intended to be an insult to you.

Its cool..

I just wanted you to see my perspective. It seemed for a second you did not empathize with situation.

Soupb0ne

My case is different but it's still a "Post-match" situation nonetheless. Although I matched with my 1st choice, I was pretty disappointed. So disappointed that I was a bit depressed and became pretty irritable. I was hoping to get my 2nd choice. I guess cause I suddenly decided I didn't want to move. I keep telling myself, I'm still gonna be going to a top IM residency in the nation so I should cheer up. S-L-O-W-L-Y I'm beginning to accept my stupid error in judging programs based on these rankings and internet yada-yadas...so "nowhere" Minnesota here I come.

:rolleyes: