Post-May 15 phone call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With May 15 approaching, I'm trying to figure out what the procedure is when a school calls to offer you a spot. At some schools, they want an answer right away before they move onto the next person in the waitlist.

If I say yes, does the school work with AMCAS to withdraw me from my current school and admit me to the new one? Or do I have to do manually take care of it off the phone?

You have to self withdraw from each school. I did it through each school's website or by email.

Naijaba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With May 15 approaching, I'm trying to figure out what the procedure is when a school calls to offer you a spot. At some schools, they want an answer right away before they move onto the next person in the waitlist.

If I say yes, does the school work with AMCAS to withdraw me from my current school and admit me to the new one? Or do I have to do manually take care of it off the phone?

I've heard from applicants last year that the phone conversation goes as follows:

Dean: "Dear Applicant, how interested would you say you are in attending our medical school?"
Applicant: "Very interested!"
Dean: "Okay, we have a spot available for you. Will you attend?"
Applicant: "I need some time to think about it."
Dean: "Please make your decision within a week in deference to other applicants."

So, basically the Dean 'pushes' the issue with the "Will you attend?" question, but does NOT force you to attend.

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge it is usually the applicant's responsibility to withdraw from a school if you take an acceptance off another school's waitlist. This may vary slightly from school to school; just ask them if/when you an offer.

And you are right, some schools want to know your decision by the end of the phone call.

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

sections 5 and 6 may be helpful: http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Each school develops their own procedures, but generally you don't have to decide on the spot by the end of the call. You are responsible for notifying schools that you withdraw.

echidna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will schools generally an estimated aid package for you before they require a decision? I basically had 2 schools tied for #1, got into one, waitlisted at the other, and seriously wouldn't know what to do if I got off the waitlist. Will they allow me the opportunity to factor cost into my decision first?

Last edited:

bamtuba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will schools generally an estimated aid package for you before they require a decision? I basically had 2 schools tied for #1, got into one, accepted at the other, and seriously wouldn't know what to do if I got off the waitlist. Will they allow me the opportunity to factor cost into my decision first?

I know one current fourth year who got in at GWU from the WL.

He REALLY wanted to go there, but they insisted that he make a decision prior to having any of the financials worked out. He had given their financial aid office all information for just this reason, but they refused to tell him what he could expect within the time frame he was given for accepting the admissions offer.

I suspect this is not too uncommon, but he ended up going to a SUNY school instead as he just couldn't justify making the $$$ commitment that is the DC area schools without having more information.

:luck:

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will schools generally an estimated aid package for you before they require a decision? I basically had 2 schools tied for #1, got into one, accepted at the other, and seriously wouldn't know what to do if I got off the waitlist. Will they allow me the opportunity to factor cost into my decision first?

Schools often want the decision before they can tell you a whole lot about what financial assistance and obligation you can expect. I cannot comment on either of the coasts, but I am familiar with the Midwest. For ~90+% of the schools in the Midwest, as long as you have good credit you can get all of the financial aid you will need (though living like a pauper in some cities). This money usually comes from Stafford and gradplus loans (all federally backed). I attend a private medical school in a medium-sized metro area and I don't know anyone in my class that needed to take out additional private loans to pay for cost of living for themselves (having a family to support is a different scenario).